Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kindle Fire Supports an External Microphone

This is a discussion on Kindle Fire Supports an External Microphone within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Although there's no microphone installed on the Fire, the internal circuitry will support an external microphone. I had a set of stereo headphones with an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kindle Fire Supports an External Microphone

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Kindle Fire Supports an External Microphone

Although there's no microphone installed on the Fire, the internal circuitry will support an external microphone.
    I had a set of stereo headphones with an inline mic laying around, and thought I'd try it on the Fire. I sideloaded a simple audio recording app and made a 10-second recording. It worked fine - the audio was loud and clear. This opens up a lot of possibilities - for one, Skype should work, and so should a number of apps requiring a mic (speech-to-text as well).
    alphawave7 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    First I've heard of this! (not that I looked for it). I didn't know the jack had the additional input...great to know!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Im definetly trying this!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Someone who's rooted and has Google Voice should try it (also Skype). Since I tried it with a recording app, I've also tried two speech-to-text apps and could not get either of them to work (Vlingo and Speech to Text).
    I just tried G Strings, a guitar-tuning app. Although I got a message about the sampling rate not being optimal, it worked fine.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Here's a mic that should work: I just ordered one - for $1.44 + free shipping I don't think you can go wrong:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336653508-20
    massahwahl likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
    Here's a mic that should work: I just ordered one - for $1.44 + free shipping I don't think you can go wrong:

Amazon.com: Mini Microphone for iPhone 3G/iPod/touch/classic: MP3 Players & Accessories
    Great find! Im holding out to see if yours works but the reviews seemed pretty positive!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What can u do with the mic?
    SteamID: l4d2bob

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamertherapy View Post
    What can u do with the mic?
    So far I've used it successfully with an audio recording app and with a guitar tuner app. I don't have Skype or Google Voice accounts, so someone else with accounts will need to try those to see if they work.
    I tried a speech-to-text app (Vlingo), but it didn't work - I think you need Google's speech-to-text to make that work; someone who's rooted and has the full complement of Google apps needs to try that as well.
    Otherwise, apps that require a mic in order to function (Soundhound, Shazam, etc.) should work.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It would sure be nice if that enabled voice search on the Fire.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    It would sure be nice if that enabled voice search on the Fire.
    Like I said in a previous post, the Google voice-to-text needs to be installed; it seems that all Android voice functions are based on that. Someone with root and the full complement of Google apps should be able to test it. It's amazing how far people have come with this device in 2 weeks; I still can't get over what a great deal this is for 200 bucks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links