Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Outrage

This is a discussion on Outrage within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I have just discovered that, even after paying my $15.00 + NYS tax to get rid of the stupid pop-up advertising, that there is another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Outrage

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Outrage

I have just discovered that, even after paying my $15.00 + NYS tax to get rid of the stupid pop-up advertising, that there is another place where Amazon has the temerity to shove their crap down my throat.

When I go on the web to look for something, after I exit, my screen is filled with mindless suggestions for other places their software thinks I might want to go AND THERE IS NO WAY TO DISABLE THAT FUNCTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS MY KINDLE FIRE NOT AMAZON'S. WHO THE BLAZES DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TO PRE-EMPT MY PROPERTY WITH THE PATHETIC CRAP THEY THINK I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT. No doubt they are charging those suggested sites a fee to clutter the 300,000 Kindle Fire screens with that garbage.

I spent some time with a nice, knowledgeable tech guy who did his best to figure out how to make it go away - no such thing. He promised to send along a suggestion to the programming gods to add a way to negate that function.

Is there a way to start an on-line user petition to try to get their attention?

OUTRAGED BOB
    Trish1991 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Totally agree, Bob. What's more, how hard it would it be for Amazon to have a search engine that actually finds what you are searching for, instead of suggesting pages of things you aren't looking to buy?
    fdalbor likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    You can throw my hat in the ring. I won't competely fault Amazon for what they are doing. I think (as many have suggested); the low price of the Fire is partly because of the selling of content by Amazon. But I do believe they have over done it a bit and it needs to be toned down.

And Trish is 100% correct on the results that are returned by the Amazon search engine. Pretty winnie!!!!!!!!!!!!fdalbor
    Trish1991 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Outrage

I also agree.!!!!!!!
    Trish1991 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This problem of pre-emtive suggestions cluttering up ones computer screen is not limited to Amazon. eBay is now doing it and their algorithims are just as poorly costructed as Amazons.
    So the real question is, how do the users of the Kindle Fire bring pressure on Amazon to change their ways? Which is a segue' into asking is this forum monitored by someone from Amazon?

Still OUTRAGED Bob
    Trish1991 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Very good question. I have a feeling that Amazon does take a peek at this forum. I have been on three or four other forums that include the Fire. But this is by far the best (constructed) but to be honest the traffic is very light on all of them.

I think most people who use the fire do not try to get to deep into the inner working of the machine. If it does what they want then its fine; if not then the cry for help is not very loud. I bought mine not because I really needed it. I have Two desktops; a laptop and two netbooks; I wanted to see what the tablet thing was all about.

Now that I have,I am beginning to change my outlook on the future of the industry. The tablet market is only going one way; UP. The Fire does what I thought a tablet was suppose to do and I am pretty content with the one I have. Its far from perfect, but then what computer (an it is a computer) is. I am in no hurry to buy another; but I am pretty sure there is another tablet or two in my future. Its up to Amazon as to if it will be another Fire or not?????fdalbor
    Trish1991 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you count KF as a tablet, I've been thinking they're doomed. Yes, portable, and look much cooler when travelling than a (my) laptop. But they are NOT a laptop, and I would not do all the surfing and other business that I do on my laptop on the KF. I'll watch videos, check mail, read books. But when I go abroad next spring, I will likely be lugging the laptop along. Unless I get used to it in a big hurry, three weeks of the KF would drive me crazy.

And I'd be amazed if Amazon didn't check these out. They are very all-over the reviews on Amazon, contacting posters with thanks, replies to inquiries and in some cases "what else can we do for you". (So smile and wave, Outraged Bob, and maybe cover up your webcam :-)
    fdalbor likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    You and I agree 1000% on the use of a tablet. I never intended a tablet to replace any of my computers; more to compliment them. And it preforms that function quite well. Its more of a content output device than a computer which is both output and input.

But to be straight it does alot more than I ever thought it would. You have to dig pretty deep to discover many of the things it is capable of and I think I have only begun to scratch the surface. I have learned more about it in the last few weeks than in the six months I had it before. I have learned how to sync it with my other computers and let them all share data between themselves (music, pictures, books, data files, etc) using the different cloud features.

But it did not come easy; nor was the use of those features straightforward. Its kind of like when I first learned to use a computer many years ago (Atari 800). Still I think its important for us all to learn what a tablet can and cannot do. They are not going to go away. Take care, fdalbor

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Atari 800, eh? Boy are you old... :-) That said, I remember wanting a Princess telephone.

It would be fun to connect access my computers via the kindle, but I'm never away from them, being retired and living way out in the country. Would I dare leave one on for weeks when I'm on vacation?? (yeah. from being retired. what does THAT look like??)

I'd like to hear recommendations for longer battery life, if there are any, other than turning off wireless when not in use.

Pat.
    fdalbor likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I simi retired on January 4th. I still work 2 1/2 days a week to keep my health insurance as Medicare is not the greatest thing in the world. The vacation from being retired was cute; I will have to remember that one.

As far as getting the battery to last longer the best thing I can recommend is (once a month) to let your Kindle run down until it shuts itself off because the battey is so dead it won't keep it on any longer. That happens at about 2-3% and it will shut itself down on its own. Then use your charger; (not the USB cable) and charge it back up to 100% before you use it again. It will help the battery maintain a charge better than anything else I have tried. I have used this method with my laptop and both of my netbooks and it works very well. Take care Felix (fdalbor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links