Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Was Steve Jobs Wrong About 7-inch Tablets?

This is a discussion on Was Steve Jobs Wrong About 7-inch Tablets? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by kansas666 First, Steve Jobs' name is on 317 patents. So to say he never invented anything is a little off the mark. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Was Steve Jobs Wrong About 7-inch Tablets?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas666 View Post
    First, Steve Jobs' name is on 317 patents. So to say he never invented anything is a little off the mark.
    Having a patent doesn't really mean you "invented" something. First off, Jobs was notorious for taking credit for other peoples work. Also, you can receive a patent for the "process" or a "way" to do something.

He invented some amazing products that just can't be touched.
    Name one. And don't say an iPod or an iPhone or an iPad. An MP3 player, a cell phone, and a tablet were inventions that Jobs and Apple damn near perfected. But to say Jobs invented these things is just flat wrong.
    crowfax likes this.
    ________

Mark

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Jobs even said himself that he took existing devices and applications and made them better, he never claimed to invent anything, but thats ok. I think Apple will eventually release a 7" device to compete in the price area, and when they do they will have my money. I love the Ipad, but it is too big to carry outside the house.

EdF
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
    Jobs even said himself that he took existing devices and applications and made them better, he never claimed to invent anything, but thats ok. I think Apple will eventually release a 7" device to compete in the price area, and when they do they will have my money. I love the Ipad, but it is too big to carry outside the house.
    Well, that's exactly right. Starting with the Lisa (market not ready) reorganizing ideas from the Xerox Alto, Apple's greatest strength has been taking other people's bleeding edge ideas (mostly failures as products) and executing them in a refined and market-changing way. Doing it right.

I don't have a problem with that as a business strategy.

- Ed

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP View Post
    During an Apple earnings call in October, 2010, Steve Jobs said:

"7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad...These are among the reasons that the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA — dead on arrival."

It looks as if the Kindle Fire may prove him wrong. I must admit that I had concerns about a 7-inch tablet. My wife and I are in our 70s and our eyesight isn't what it once was, but we are very happy with our Kindle Fire. We have no trouble viewing the screen and I find that I can use the on-screen keyboard as long as I use it in a landscape orientation.
    I love the 7" size.

I have a fair collection of tablets, with the most powerful one being the Xoom, but even when I picked that up back in Feb, I kept going for my NOOKcolor because of the size. At home it didn't make that much of a difference, but if you have to go somewhere, chosing between 7" or 10" was a no-brainer for me.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have Acer A500 (10 inch) and the Acer A100 (7 inch) along with the Nook Color w/ CM7 and now the Fire...obviously I have found 7 inch screen to be juuuuuuust right.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have the utmost respect for Steve jobs but he does make.mistakes, everyone does, no one is.perfect
    SteamID: l4d2bob

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamertherapy View Post
    I have the utmost respect for Steve jobs but he does make.mistakes, everyone does, no one is.perfect
    Plus, his iPad pretty much defined the market existed for Android tabs in all sizes, shapes (and quality levels), and for that I thank Steve...even if he missed the boat on smaller, portable units. I agree with others that Apple will eventually release a smaller iPad.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I think they'll opt for a larger iopod touch while keeping the ipad in its present size

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I think the fact that we're all here says he was wrong about 7" tablets.
    Tablets: Kindle Fire
    Portable Media Players: Samsung Galaxy S2, Onda VX590T, Cowon J3
    Settop Media Players: WD TV Live Streamer, Xtreamer SideWinder3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
    Software: DVD Catalyst, MakeMKV

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by crowfax View Post
    I think the fact that we're all here says he was wrong about 7" tablets.

True, but what about the 10" that is supposedly in the works?

Would you have gotten one of those instead if they came out at the same time?

I know I wouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links