Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tethering fire w/droid phone

This is a discussion on Tethering fire w/droid phone within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I am using FoxFi and a DroidX. Seems to work great....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tethering fire w/droid phone

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am using FoxFi and a DroidX. Seems to work great.

Member #
    I have a KF and a Motorola Droid X2 and I downloaded FoxFi. wow. Easy to use! Just find it in the app store on your phone. Download it, open it and check the box for activate Hotspot. Voila! your up and running. Im watching Netflix right now! How awesome is that!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I've had FoxFi on my Droid X for awhile now but find it isn't very reliable. At least 50% of the time when I activate the Hotspot then try to surf the web, I get prompted by Verizon to pay $20 to activate their Hotspot app. When FoxFi works it seems to work fine but it doesn't always seem to work.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe that if your phone is cabable of being a wi-fi hot spot (Samsung Charge) you can install FoxFi on your phone and then on the tablet install an android teather from June Fabrics. That should work because your Fire can connect to any wi-fi hot spot.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    I've had FoxFi on my Droid X for awhile now but find it isn't very reliable. At least 50% of the time when I activate the Hotspot then try to surf the web, I get prompted by Verizon to pay $20 to activate their Hotspot app. When FoxFi works it seems to work fine but it doesn't always seem to work.
    I have FoxFi on my Samsung Charge and also have Verison... never got that prompt asking for $20. I use it a lot with my tablet and will also use it with the Fire.

Member #
    I have also been successful with FoxFi in using my Droid X2 as a hotspot for my KF.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calloused View Post
    I believe that if your phone is cabable of being a wi-fi hot spot (Samsung Charge) you can install FoxFi on your phone and then on the tablet install an android teather from June Fabrics. That should work because your Fire can connect to any wi-fi hot spot.
    A couple of things:

1) You shouldn't need to install any drivers; your Fire will pick up the signal just as it would a from a wifi router, if your phone supports it (as my Droid Incredible 2 does)

2) Yes, you can circumvent your phone's hotspot feature by using a third-party app like FoxFi to turn it on. Be aware, though, that I know of two different people that I know who have received bills from Verizon for turning on their hotspots in this way (VZW charges $20/mo for 2gb of data through the hotspot). You may be able to get away with it as long as you keep your data usage low.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calloused View Post
    There is no way to use PDAnet with the KF but, as already stated, it will work fine with your phone if it supports wifi hotspot feature.

Member #
    I have unlimited data on my plan with Verizon on my Incredible 2. I pay a flat rate for my minutes and text and internet. I turned on my hotspot, named the SSID and even connected with my Incredible 2 to the Kindle Fire. It showed connected but it would not bring up the page. It is set on WPA2 (AES) and I wonder if this is the correct setting... It says that a 'sign in' is required, the wifi network you are connecting to requires you to sign in before accessing the internet. Would you like to sign in? I tell it "OK" it's say that my phone is not set up to connect to the service.. and the connection to the server was unsuccessful... Help?????

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    You need to install the FoxFi app on your phone and use it to start the hotspot. If you simply start the hotspot then Verizon will prompt you to add the Hotspot feature to your phone which costs an additional $20/month for 2G of data. Using FoxFi gets around that and allows you to use your unlimited data.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links