Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tethering fire w/droid phone

This is a discussion on Tethering fire w/droid phone within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by Rich It would be very useful if people who have made something work were to tell us what applications they used and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tethering fire w/droid phone

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It would be very useful if people who have made something work were to tell us what applications they used and how they did it instead of just bragging.

I have a Captivate and a Fire and would be quite grateful to know how you did it.

Thanks, Rich
    Is there a way for me to share the apk of the app im using to do it? Its not supported anymore but was free when it was...
    and

The key is making sure that your phone and program support infrastructure mode. The kindle will not connect to an ad-hoc type network which is completely stupid but its the case were stuck with. :/
    I offered to help if someone could tell me how to share an apk or confirm that it is ok to do so. I also metioned the name of the program:

You can def do it! Ive been using program called 'wireless tether' i had to find the apk on google as it is no longer officially supported. Works like a dream though!
    I really feel like I made an effort to help you out here...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It would be very useful if people who have made something work were to tell us what applications they used and how they did it instead of just bragging.

I have a Captivate and a Fire and would be quite grateful to know how you did it.

Thanks, Rich
    Tethering fire w/droid phone
    Larry5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm using cm7 on my thunderbolt and the built in wireless tether works fine.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Member #
    Hey Guys- So I have the samsung fascinate and have been trying to tether. I did some digging and figured out how too. This was on XDA I found:

Google android wifi tether. its on google code, get the latest experimental version under downloads.

set device profile to nexus one and setup method to netd(master) and it'll work with anything.

Working Wireless Tether for Android Tablets [Archive] - xda-developers

Here is the download link: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I downloaded the top "wifi_tether_v3_1-beta7apk" opened it with the "astro File" app, and it works great!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nfrees114 View Post
    Hey Guys- So I have the samsung fascinate and have been trying to tether. I did some digging and figured out how too. This was on XDA I found:

Google android wifi tether. its on google code, get the latest experimental version under downloads.

set device profile to nexus one and setup method to netd(master) and it'll work with anything.

Working Wireless Tether for Android Tablets [Archive] - xda-developers

Here is the download link: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I downloaded the top "wifi_tether_v3_1-beta7apk" opened it with the "astro File" app, and it works great!!!!
    Fortunately the Samsung Galaxy S line (I have the Captivate) supports infrastructure mode on the stock rom. If your phone does not support infrastructure mode then wifi-tether will not work despite setting it to nexus one. Some phones have the chip built in that supports infrastructure mode but the stock roms keep it disabled, meaning you would need to install a custom rom that unlocked it.

Generally speaking the cheap android phones do not have a chip that supports it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    Fortunately the Samsung Galaxy S line (I have the Captivate) supports infrastructure mode on the stock rom. If your phone does not support infrastructure mode then wifi-tether will not work despite setting it to nexus one. Some phones have the chip built in that supports infrastructure mode but the stock roms keep it disabled, meaning you would need to install a custom rom that unlocked it.

Generally speaking the cheap android phones do not have a chip that supports it.
    So if I am understanding correctly, there should be no problem with wifi-tethering from the Samsung galaxy S phone? Just wondering because I have a my phone rooted w custom GB rom but if i use wifi-tether from the market (which is no longer there) the kindle wouldn't connect. I also tried using that Barnacle wifi from the market also and it wouldn't work. so I finally found what i listed above and that worked. So I'm just wondering why it wouldn't connect to the other apps but will to this one?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Its all about how the app talks to the hardware. By default android does not support infrastructure mode but the hardware does. So if the app knows how to talk to the hardware correctly then your set. Thats why some people have luck with different settings in the hardware selection screen (setting it as nexus one etc.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Im using wireless tether & it works perfectly fine with KF.

Member #
    Can you please tell me which tether download did you use to work w/KF ? thank you

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I tether Fire to my TMO (HTC) Sensation with no issues...links fast, and 4G, so sweet.
    You can also tether the KindleGPS.apk via Google Maps via your super TMOUSA HTC Sensation 4G with a rooted Amazon Kindle Fire or change it and tether using T-mobile 3G if like too ... Just wait until you get the coming soon TMOUSA HTC Sensation ICS 4.0 upgrade, you ain't nothing yet dude ....!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links