Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Who else is rooted?

This is a discussion on Who else is rooted? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Things I've done/installed/modified on my rooted Fire: If you've used a "normal" Android tablet you'll be more aware of what the Fire doesn't have and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Who else is rooted?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Things I've done/installed/modified on my rooted Fire:
    If you've used a "normal" Android tablet you'll be more aware of what the Fire doesn't have and would like to have back.
    Android market: I get to add any of the apps I've already bought on other Android devices.
    Titanium backup: I don't do many backups with it except to Dropbox but I use the freeze feature to get unwanted apps to not run or even appear.
    Button savior: gives me a home button that acts like the regular home button, a long press gives me a list of the last 6 apps I've used. Makes switching between apps when multitasking much easier. Handy with the occasional full screen game that expects a hard back button.
    Addfree: modified the local hosts file to get rid a quite a bit of the junk adds on most web sites.
    Script manager: let's me run the V6 supercharger script from XDA. Modified the Android memory management setup to allow for much nicer multitasking.
    Voodoo OTA RootKeeper: let's me temporarily unroot so I can watch streaming video, both Amazon and Netflix.
    3rd party keyboard: I prefer Swype but also have SwiftKey X installed also. Contemplating giving flext 9 a try.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Forgot where I read this, but if I root my three boys Kindles to get all the Google Market apps installed, when I unroot to get streaming back the Market will still work right?

Member #
    What will happen to all my data etc. if I root my kindle? I just want swype. I sideloaded everything else I wanted.
    Last edited by debbie; 01-08-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by killinem313 View Post
    Installing the android market, custom roms (when available), making your device your own instead of what Amazon intended.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    I just download the apk files from my phone and upload them to the Fire and install. My phone is rooted so it's easy.

I'm probably gonna hold off on rooting the Fire for awhile. The Fire is mostly an ereader for me so as long as I can have my most used apps I'm good for now.

Although, if the right ROM comes along...

Mike

DBSTalk, Camera3, KindleBoards, SCWF
    ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home
    Since it costs 2.4 to produce a penny, my 2 worth is really 4.8 worth.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroBeta View Post
    I just download the apk files from my phone and upload them to the Fire and install. My phone is rooted so it's easy.

I'm probably gonna hold off on rooting the Fire for awhile. The Fire is mostly an ereader for me so as long as I can have my most used apps I'm good for now.

Although, if the right ROM comes along...

Mike

its hard not to see the ROMS passing us left and right. Theyre everywhere. I like CM7 and ICS, definitely like the ICS. They turn a $200 reader into a total force to be reckoned with.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by libs View Post
    its hard not to see the ROMS passing us left and right. Theyre everywhere. I like CM7 and ICS, definitely like the ICS. They turn a $200 reader into a total force to be reckoned with.
    I do see the ROMS but I don't really need a full blown tablet...actually I've never found a use for a tablet. I know quite a few people who have a real need but me, not so much.

I'll keep reading and if I come across something I might find useful I'll jump on it.

Now my phone on the other hand, has seen quite a few custom roms.

Mike

ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm going to root mines soon, and I hope it will be worth it. Will I still be able to use Amazon Video?
    SteamID: l4d2bob

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    not me......does everything I want it to do with out rooting!......

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamertherapy View Post
    I'm going to root mines soon, and I hope it will be worth it. Will I still be able to use Amazon Video?
    From what I have been reading rooting breaks streaming via Amazon's Cloud player. It seems some guys have to unroot to stream and root again when they're done. This only effects the Cloud player. If you stream video from somewhere else you're probably good.

Mike

Member #

rooted but conflicted results.

KFU. says I am rooted and good to go. Some playstore apps do not recognize root access. Rootchecker app from playstore says I have not root access. Don 't know what's up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links