Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Text-To-Speech on the Fire?

This is a discussion on Text-To-Speech on the Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by bsoplinger The Android OS supports text to speech. There are even the pico TTS files installed. But Amazon removed the settings the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoplinger View Post
    The Android OS supports text to speech. There are even the pico TTS files installed. But Amazon removed the settings the base Android OS provides. Which means until someone figures out how to enable it or writes an app or creates a new ROM there it's no TTS.
    I'll guess they did it to satisfy all the authors that were afraid text-to-speech would steal away sales of the audiobook version of their creation. The "universal" nature of it in Android meant it would be harder to disable/enable on a book to book case. So they disabled it univerally until they figure it out. Means it might show up in a firmware update.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    I'll guess they did it to satisfy all the authors that were afraid text-to-speech would steal away sales of the audiobook version of their creation. The "universal" nature of it in Android meant it would be harder to disable/enable on a book to book case. So they disabled it univerally until they figure it out. Means it might show up in a firmware update.
    That'd be my guess since audiobooks generally cost 2x and often way more than that it represents quite a revenue loss. If it wasn't for audible I know I wouldn't have any but since I joined over 10 years ago I'm grandfathered into a plan for 2 books a month for 17 bucks total which is less than 2 of many paperbacks nowadays.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Member #
    It does have some text to speech that works. My daughter was in Quickoffice pro and typed up a word document and it read it back to her.

Member #
    So is their going to be an upgrade or something for Tex To Speech??

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by russellchats View Post
    So is their going to be an upgrade or something for Tex To Speech??
    I know this is an older thread, but YES, there is text to speech on the Kindle Fire. When you open a book and go to a page of text, just click to get the top/bottom menus. In the lower menu, you will see the navigation arrow showing location. And below that it will say "tap the play button for text to speech".

I don't know why nobody else has replied to this thread with a correct answer. I guess they just didn't know about or notice the feature.

Anyway, it does work, although it's a pretty poor mechanical chick voice.

Even if this doesn't help you, it may help another.

Ads