Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Newsstand - not convinced

This is a discussion on Newsstand - not convinced within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; It was kinda odd. I downloaded "Wired", one of their free 3 month trial magazines. It showed up in the apps section of my Fire. ...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Newsstand - not convinced

It was kinda odd. I downloaded "Wired", one of their free 3 month trial magazines. It showed up in the apps section of my Fire. It seemed to be taking me to a website. I had to create a user name/password and log in to read it. It didn't have the functionality of other magazines - I couldn't zoom in or get text only view.

I downloaded "Sound and Vision" and got a free 15 day trial. It shows up in the newsstand of the fire and I can zoom and choose text only view. But to be honest, it's not the experience I was hoping for. The Fire just doesn't seem to be optimized for magazine consumption. It's too small to read anything without zooming and that just becomes clunky.

Member #
    I think the "Wired" and "GQ" magazines are actually apps not that are a front-end to the magazines. I also subscribed to Men's Health and Maxim and I am not overly thrilled so far either. I figure I have a two week trial and I will play around with it as well, but the magazine experience is a bit lacking at the moment. Maybe it will get better with an update in the near future.

-Eric

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    GQ and Vanity Fair both of which are apps and not the same as Maxim and Details.

To me I like the way Conde Nast [GQ and Vanity Fair] does their digital magazines.
    Maxim and Details seems more like photos of each page and is more classic book and the text does not look as clear whereas the Conde Nast are more interactive and come with video and links to other media and the text is far easier to read.

I'm not sure about Wired but IMO it think the 7 inch screen is big enough when the digital magazine [or app] is geared towards interactive plus reading.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I think you make sacrifices at any form factor. 7 inches is better for novel sized books. Larger screens do better with magazines.

Member #
    I tried Self Magazine and it is also an app, must have the wireless on to read it, does not download onto the device. Several pages with very small print that did not allow zooming...Magazines are pretty much a bust anyway, mostly ads with little content but just wanted to see how it worked

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links