Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news!

This is a discussion on Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news! within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; There has already been some discussion of importing ePubs for reading in various third party apps. I would like to report that "liberated" .mobi or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news!

There has already been some discussion of importing ePubs for reading in various third party apps. I would like to report that "liberated" .mobi or .prc files (the format Amazon adopted) display fine in BOTH the carousel on the home page and the bookshelf.
    Hawaiian Princess likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I have a collection of Chuck Palahniuk novels in the .mobi format, do I not need to convert these into a different format in order to read them on them on the kindle? As far as I know they are not drm protected as I bought them from a third party website years ago.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Also will the ones I have loaded into my kindle app on my phone automatically transfer over to my fire? Or will I have to manually transfer them?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    Also will the ones I have loaded into my kindle app on my phone automatically transfer over to my fire? Or will I have to manually transfer them?
    Any DRM-free .mobi/.prc should display normally -- on the bookshelf and in the carousel. If you have these on your phone or any other device you will need to manually transfer them to the Documents folder on the Fire. I discovered that following the transfer, the Fire must be powered off, then back on, in order for the device to recognize and display the books.

Alternatively, you can send your DRM-free .mobi/prc books to Dropbox and download to the Fire.

The only way to have your books seamlessly transfer via the Amazon Cloud and retain bookmarks, notes, etc., is to purchase books from the Amazon store. Of course, that is the whole objective of the Fire -- to buy Amazon content.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    If they are purchased books from Amazon, they should already be available on your Fire for download as it automatically syncs to your account content. If the books are DRM-free, and you installed them manually on your phone, you must also install them manually on the Fire (in the Documents folder). See my explanation above.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Sounds good, they are DRM free I will get them transfered over as soon as my kindle gets here!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Sounds good, they are DRM free I will get them transfered over as soon as my kindle gets here!
    Just remember to power off, then on after you've loaded up and the books will appear.

Member #
    I'm wondering if someone might get in trouble transferring a DRM-free .mobi book to the Fire by sending it to Amazon, assuming that it's a book they sell, and that they know isn't available through normal channels in non-DRM'd format.

I realize this might be a sensitive topic and I'm not advocating anything. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what Amazon's policy might be should this happen. Are they watching for such books? Do they care? If not, might they care in the future? If they do care, what might they do? Any information? Any thoughts?

Barry

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Barry I dont think its possible to send .mobi books of any kind to your amazon account, could be wrong but im pretty sure.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by barryem View Post
    I'm wondering if someone might get in trouble transferring a DRM-free .mobi book to the Fire by sending it to Amazon, assuming that it's a book they sell, and that they know isn't available through normal channels in non-DRM'd format.

I realize this might be a sensitive topic and I'm not advocating anything. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what Amazon's policy might be should this happen. Are they watching for such books? Do they care? If not, might they care in the future? If they do care, what might they do? Any information? Any thoughts?

Barry
    Many have, and do, send their "other" books via this method without fear. If Amazon really wanted to play an authoritarian role they would not have recently added the ability to sync one's personal documents (which these are).

Personally, I would never do it as I like control over my own files, formatting and transfering. I cannot see any reason to send via Amazon.
    Last edited by Skydog; 11-25-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links