Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news!

This is a discussion on Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news! within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by massahwahl Barry I dont think its possible to send .mobi books of any kind to your amazon account, could be wrong but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Side-loaded .mobi books -- good news!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    Barry I dont think its possible to send .mobi books of any kind to your amazon account, could be wrong but im pretty sure.
    Yes, it is possible and has been an option beginning with the earliest Kindles (which I also own and use). You simply mail the "document" to your dedicated Kindle/Fire address. You can find detailed information under Kindle Support: Kindle Support: Personal Documents

[from Amazon's website]:

Supported File Types

Kindle personal document service supports multiple file types including;

Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX) HTML (.HTML, .HTM) RTF (.RTF) JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG) Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW) GIF (.GIF) PNG (.PNG) BMP (.BMP) PDF (.PDF); is supported in our experimental category. See below for details.

The above file types can also be combined in a compressed ZIP (.ZIP) file. ZIP files are automatically opened up by the conversion service, converted to the Kindle format if needed, and sent to your Kindle and stored in your Kindle library. Some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle.

If you prefer to have your personal PDF documents converted to the Kindle format so you can take advantage of Kindle functionality such as variable font size, annotation, Text-to-Speech, etc., type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address.
    Last edited by Skydog; 03-11-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Updated link
    massahwahl likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Yes, it is possible and has been an option beginning with the earliest Kindles (which I also own and use). You simply mail the "document" to your dedicated Kindle/Fire address. You can find detailed information under Kindle Support: Kindle Support: Personal Documents

[from Amazon's website]:

Supported File Types

Kindle personal document service supports multiple file types including;

Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX) HTML (.HTML, .HTM) RTF (.RTF) JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG) Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW) GIF (.GIF) PNG (.PNG) BMP (.BMP) PDF (.PDF); is supported in our experimental category. See below for details.

The above file types can also be combined in a compressed ZIP (.ZIP) file. ZIP files are automatically opened up by the conversion service, converted to the Kindle format if needed, and sent to your Kindle and stored in your Kindle library. Some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle.

If you prefer to have your personal PDF documents converted to the Kindle format so you can take advantage of Kindle functionality such as variable font size, annotation, Text-to-Speech, etc., type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address.
    Sweet! Didnt know that.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a perhaps gross over-simplification I thought the difference between .prc and .mobi format was the embedded pictures, especially the cover art, in .mobi files. So my question is, how do I take the 2 files, a .jpg of cover art and the .prc of the text of the book and get a book with a cover to show?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoplinger View Post
    So my question is, how do I take the 2 files, a .jpg of cover art and the .prc of the text of the book and get a book with a cover to show?
    Using Calibre you can modify metadata easily to add a cover image. You'll need to reconvert to .mobi to make the new image show up when you sideload to your kindle.

As far as I have seen, the .mobi and .prc formats are the same.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PflugerDen; 11-26-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    Sweet! Didnt know that.
    It might be worthwhile to read their support page for lots of good information.
    Last edited by Skydog; 11-26-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoplinger View Post
    As a perhaps gross over-simplification I thought the difference between .prc and .mobi format was the embedded pictures, especially the cover art, in .mobi files. So my question is, how do I take the 2 files, a .jpg of cover art and the .prc of the text of the book and get a book with a cover to show?
    No. .mobi and .prc are virtually the same and interchangable. Use Calibre, import EITHER the mobi or prc. Calibre will download book description and cover(s) for you to choose from. Final step is to convert (to either .mobi or .prc)

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Calibre is pretty awesome, not to mention its available for Linux!

kah
    Member #
    (I wasn't able to find the "detailed information" at the URL you provided -- it goes to a top-level page and Search didn't get me to information on this topic ... that I could spot.) IAC, I have emailed a .mobi file to myself, to the email address I have set up on my Kindle Fire. However, when I try to "Save" the file, from within the mail app, the Fire is puzzled ... says it doesn't know where to place it. I don't seem to have a way to "browse" to some Documents folder. I understand that I could sideload the file but I don't yet have a USB cable (other than it charger cable that came with the Fire). I was hoping that emailing the file would be an interim workaround. What additional steps can I try? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kah View Post
    (I wasn't able to find the "detailed information" at the URL you provided -- it goes to a top-level page and Search didn't get me to information on this topic ... that I could spot.) IAC, I have emailed a .mobi file to myself, to the email address I have set up on my Kindle Fire. However, when I try to "Save" the file, from within the mail app, the Fire is puzzled ... says it doesn't know where to place it. I don't seem to have a way to "browse" to some Documents folder. I understand that I could sideload the file but I don't yet have a USB cable (other than it charger cable that came with the Fire). I was hoping that emailing the file would be an interim workaround. What additional steps can I try? Thanks!
    The FIRST thing you should do (if you haven't already) is download and install ES File Explorer (free). With this file manager you have two other options to get your books on the Fire:

1. You can move all your files from your desktop and/or laptop to your Fire via a WLAN (wireless network). I use this method for moving files to/from my Fire/Xoom/phone and it is easy to set up.

2. If number 1 is not possible, use a cloud, such as Dropbox, to upload your files. You can then tap on the files in you Dropbox cloud and download directly to your Fire.

In either case, use the file manager to transfer (copy/paste or move) to the /Kindle/ folder.

Note: another advantage to the methods above, as well as transfer via cable, is that you will not be restricted by file sizes.
    Last edited by Skydog; 12-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Member #

Kindle Fire newbie questions on mobi books

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Any DRM-free .mobi/.prc should display normally -- on the bookshelf and in the carousel. If you have these on your phone or any other device you will need to manually transfer them to the Documents folder on the Fire. I discovered that following the transfer, the Fire must be powered off, then back on, in order for the device to recognize and display the books.

Alternatively, you can send your DRM-free .mobi/prc books to Dropbox and download to the Fire.

The only way to have your books seamlessly transfer via the Amazon Cloud and retain bookmarks, notes, etc., is to purchase books from the Amazon store. Of course, that is the whole objective of the Fire -- to buy Amazon content.
    How do you import books through dropbox? I can't find that in the store or is it a sideways add on? And how do you know if a file is DRM free?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by darkwingdave; 03-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links