Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clarification of movie playing capabilities?

This is a discussion on Clarification of movie playing capabilities? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I read a few negative reviews of the fire that said it cannot play movies from your home computer. Is this true? Im sure there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clarification of movie playing capabilities?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Clarification of movie playing capabilities?

I read a few negative reviews of the fire that said it cannot play movies from your home computer. Is this true? Im sure there will be several workarounds in the days to come, but I have a pretty extensive dvd collection that I would like to to be able to load up for trips to take with me and I want to know that the fire will be able to handle them in the right formats. Anyone have issues with formats or fire not playing videos from your pc?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Check with DVDcatalyst, one of our supporting vendors on the formats

Member #
    I was able to load as either a mpv or mp4 and use the gallery app to view

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Yup mp4 works on all tablets

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    I read a few negative reviews of the fire that said it cannot play movies from your home computer. Is this true? Im sure there will be several workarounds in the days to come, but I have a pretty extensive dvd collection that I would like to to be able to load up for trips to take with me and I want to know that the fire will be able to handle them in the right formats. Anyone have issues with formats or fire not playing videos from your pc?
    Video playback works fine.

The Kindle Fire is actually capable of playing very high quality video files.

Yesterday, I played a 1080-sized trailer I converted a couple of months ago on the Xoom.

Kindle Fire plays 1080p video

I also converted a bunch of DVDs for it, and those also played without any issues:

How to: DVD (& MKV, AVI, etc) to Kindle Fire

When you connect your Kindle Fire, it shows up as a removable drive, and you just copy over your MP4 files to the Videos folder, and then just play them with Gallery.

My biggest gripe is that the movies you add yourself don't show up on the shelf, and the build-in Gallery app is a nightmare to use when you have multiple videos on it. So, I installed my own MovieGallery Free app on it to make it easier.

MovieGallery Free for Kindle Fire (apk download+install guide)

One of the things I did run into is that the Kindle Fire has a limit of 2GB as a maximum file-size.
    A 720p Bluray rip I tried yesterday (The Fighter, 2.6GB) would not play at all, but a small clip encoded using similar settings but higher bitrate and 1080 resolution worked fine. When I used my own streamer app (MP4 Streaming Server) the same 2.6GB video file played without any issues.

Lastly, a buddy of mine sent me a small clip last night that he cut from a bluray. Not converted or anything, just a plain cut. High Profile, Cabac enabled etc. The audio format of the file would not work, so I just changed that to AAC, but I left the video portion in-tact, and even that played without issues.

Most likely, the gripes people have that you are referring to are people who expect their (usually "torrented") avi's and mkv's to work on their Kindle Fire without issues. This is an issue that is brought up with every new phone/tablet that is released. W
    Hawaiian Princess and Skydog like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Thank you! Exactly the information I was looking for! Im looking to go blu-ray after christmas so good to know I will be able to get those files working as well!

Member #
    My daughter-in-law sends me cell phone video of our granddaughter, using the app whatsapp. I'm not sure how to phrase my questions but is there an app she can use to send video and I can use to receive it ... that will work with the Kindle Fire?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    >>My biggest gripe is that the movies you add yourself don't show up on the shelf, and the build-in Gallery app is a nightmare to use when you have multiple videos on it. So, I installed my own MovieGallery Free app on it to make it easier.<<

I discovered books I manually added did not show up on the shelf until I powered off, then on. This allowd a full refresh and they appeared on the shelf. I wonder if this applies to video as well?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    Im looking to go blu-ray after christmas so good to know I will be able to get those files working as well!
    I just finished encoding The Green Lantern from Blu-ray with DVD Catalyst and it looks excellent on the KF. You'll wish you'd gone Blu-ray sooner!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Im converting a closet in my house into a media closet with a server and thus I was prompted to want to take the blu plunge! I am bummed out that I waited so long to do it!
    crowfax likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links