Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clarification of movie playing capabilities?

This is a discussion on Clarification of movie playing capabilities? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I use Blu-ray for everything now, even when encoding for smaller screens (I have Cowon J3 which is 480x272) as the biggest difference I notice ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clarification of movie playing capabilities?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I use Blu-ray for everything now, even when encoding for smaller screens (I have Cowon J3 which is 480x272) as the biggest difference I notice between using DVD and Blu-ray as sources is often the DVD colours will be much more washed out than the Blu-ray colour palate.

Member #
    I'm sure this is a nice app if it's the sort of thing you're looking for but no-where do you state that it will or won't play .avi files and that's what a lot of people want. So I downloaded it and installed it and transferred an avi file to my Fire and it didn't play it. To be sure I tried again with another file. No go!

So, angry that I'd wasted half an hour, I uninstalled it.

My objection isn't that it doesn't play avi files, it's that no-where did you list the file types or codecs it can handle, thus wasting my time.

I suggest that you document this and maybe not anger potential future customers in case you ever do add the codecs needed. The problem was really a documentation problem more than a problem with what might otherwise be a nice program.

Barry

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by barryem View Post
    I'm sure this is a nice app if it's the sort of thing you're looking for but no-where do you state that it will or won't play .avi files and that's what a lot of people want. So I downloaded it and installed it and transferred an avi file to my Fire and it didn't play it. To be sure I tried again with another file. No go!

So, angry that I'd wasted half an hour, I uninstalled it.

My objection isn't that it doesn't play avi files, it's that no-where did you list the file types or codecs it can handle, thus wasting my time.

I suggest that you document this and maybe not anger potential future customers in case you ever do add the codecs needed. The problem was really a documentation problem more than a problem with what might otherwise be a nice program.

Barry
    Hi Barry, welcome to the forums,

If you look at what I wrote, you would have noticed I mentioned MP4 files:

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    When you connect your Kindle Fire, it shows up as a removable drive, and you just copy over your MP4 files to the Videos folder, and then just play them with Gallery.

My biggest gripe is that the movies you add yourself don't show up on the shelf, and the build-in Gallery app is a nightmare to use when you have multiple videos on it. So, I installed my own MovieGallery Free app on it to make it easier.

MovieGallery Free for Kindle Fire (apk download+install guide)
    and of course the link right above the MovieGallery link:

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    I also converted a bunch of DVDs for it, and those also played without any issues:

How to: DVD (& MKV, AVI, etc) to Kindle Fire
    mentions avi in it as well.

Member #
    I installed MX Video Player. It plays AVI and mkv files.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    If your on Linux OGMRip will do the entire process for you, and its free!

Member #
    I can convert files to .mp4 but that's a lot of trouble and I have another tablet that plays them so i'm not likely to do that for the Fire. It would be nice to have an app on the Fire that plays them as they are.

Yogibare, you mentioned MX Player, which i've bought and installed on another tablet. I'd love to put that on the Fire. It's a nice player and would solve my problem. How did you get it onto the Fire to install? I can get it from the Google Market with another tablet but when i download it it installs it and it's gone. I don't know how to download it to a PC or the Fire.

Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links