Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My First Impressions

This is a discussion on My First Impressions within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I picked up a Kindle Fire from my local Staples about a month and a half ago. I've been playing around with it ever since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

My First Impressions

I picked up a Kindle Fire from my local Staples about a month and a half ago. I've been playing around with it ever since and it has become my go-to tablet for mostly everything I use a tablet for, even though I also own others including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and Acer Iconia Tab A500 with ICS. I use the Fire for web browsing, e-book reading, youtube viewing and I use free downloaded app Evernote to store my links to articles and sites. I prefer the Fire to the nook color which I have been using since it was released for two simple reasons.

One: the home screen on the Fire rotates to landscape.
    Two: You can cut copy and paste which I need for my links, articles and bookmarks that I collect in Evernote.

So what about the performance on the Fire? Well since I use it for web browsing ALOT... I have to state my one major complaint with this tablet. Scrolling can be a little bit sticky if you don't keep the scrolling to one steady motion without slowing down. But once I got used to it, it's not that bad... Other than that I find the performance of this dual core tablet to be excellent. Apps/browser open fast and navigating the interface is smooth. Youtube playback is also great- better then my Tab 7.0 plus IMO...

Battery life is also very good. I get about a day and a half of moderate use out of one charge and 3 days of light use. That's with charging it when it gets to 30-40% too. I always recharge at 30-40%.

So what about the Nexus 7 vs. the Kindle Fire? Well from what I have read, the Nexus 7 is supposed to obliterate the Fire... I think that might be an exaggeration but we'll see. I hope to pick up a Nexus soon but until then I will reserve any judgment. I do know however that the Amazon store is supposed to have much more content then google's Playstore.

Other then that there's just one more thing to touch on and that's the form factor. Seeing as I like to carry alot of stuff in my backpack, the Kindle Fire is the perfect weight/size for me. I like the 7 inch form factor and the build quality which includes gorilla glass to protect that crisp screen on the Fire.

Ok, those are my initial thoughts on the Kindle Fire so far. Generally very pleased with this device.

Member #
    Quadtronix,

You have too many toys ! I am envyous, and a poor speller. Please post your review for Nexus7

nilo52
    A STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nilo52 View Post
    Quadtronix,

You have too many toys ! I am envyous, and a poor speller. Please post your review for Nexus7

nilo52
    I know... I kindof went tablet crazy last year and continued this year. Lol... but I just love tablets! I will certainly post my impressions of the Nexus 7 if and when I get my hands on one.

Quadtronix

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    On your browser go to 1mobile website, download their app, get any file explorer app you like from Amazon app store, use it to open the 1mobile download and install, use the 1mobile app to grab another browser and, should you want to lose the Fire look, another launcher. I'm using Go launcher (works just like on tablets and phones except the wallpaper) on mine and both Opera Mobile browser and Firefox instead of the stock browser. I use Rotating Wallpaper for custom wallpapers

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Member #
    Wow! Awesome! Just did it and it's pretty sweet... just have one problem. When I put the Fire to sleep and then wake it up the wallpaper changes to the lock screen wallpaper. I downloaded rotating wallpaper and created a set and set that to the default but it still doesn't stick. Just keeps going to the lock screen wallpaper whenever I turn the Fire off and on again... Any suggestions? Otherwise this is really awesome!! Thanks for the tip!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Set time to 1 minute in the rotate app. By default it's like 8 hours or something.Once the Fire goes to sleep the timer starts so if you wake before a minute it'll be stock for the remainder of the minute. If it's asleep more than a minute it should change while asleep.
    Post back if you need help there. I don't have my Fire nearby or I'd have posted step by step on how to change the time but if I can do it anyone can.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Member #
    Hahaha! Thanks, I just figured out that if I set it to one minute it will do that and then I read your post... This is really awesome! Thanks for the tip and the help! I still haven't dl'd firefox or opera but I'm going to do that in a bit. Thanks again...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Glad to help. The ONLY reason I got a Fire was to help users on this forum, felt kinda stupid by being a moderator with 0 ability to help, but it has become my main non phone device and I've got 0 interest in a Nexus 7. It's basically a 7"Tab with a better UI but very few apps that are Jelly Bean ready . I'm not going to be a beta tester for paid apps anymore. I've done that with Gingerbread and ICS on my phones and Honeycomb on my Tab 10.1 already.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Member #
    Well... for anyone that wants to try that tip suggested by Mountainbikermark I highly recommend that you do so. It's really awesome! I downloaded an ICS theme for go Launcher EX and have been playing with wallpapers and widgets on my Fire all day! It's like a whole new tablet but with the Kindle interface never more than a button press away cause the home button on the bottom of the screen gives the option of "Kindle Launcher" or "Go Launcher EX". You can just switch back and forth that easy... I will have to write a whole new review now. Just kidding! But seriously, if I had given the Fire a rating it would have been 7 or 8. Now it is a 10 IMO.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    What I did was made Go my default and made a shortcut for the Fire launcher because setting one for the Kindle reader doesn't work right, it's best to open the Fire launcher and tap Books. Here's one of my screens.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links