Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fantastic Gizmodo Review.

This is a discussion on Fantastic Gizmodo Review. within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Really crystallizes why I preordered the Kindle Fire. http://m.gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-...us-competition...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fantastic Gizmodo Review.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Fantastic Gizmodo Review.

Really crystallizes why I preordered the Kindle Fire.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-...us-competition

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Nice find

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    So far the reviews have seemed remarkably positive.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I read these reviews and 'General Discussions' to hear and learn more about a product I am interested in .. and not to have folks push what they believe is a better tablet (HTC Flyer, iPad or whatever).

If I was interested in another brand tablet, I would select it and read specs and general comments in support of it. Like many, I did read and actually go to a store to hold, view and judge. But to have comments worded that anyone not agreeing with their selection is ... not thinking or less .. certainly is not appreciated. Go write your glowing support comments at your tablet website general comment section.

One has to wonder, are these pushy in my face know-it-alls .. might be stock holders in the other company, engineers or some insecure soul wanting to convince the world that he/she finally believe they know what is best for me and you?
    Last edited by getabout; 11-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Not sure I understand your post. Are you angry that I posted a positive review I read...on the Kindle Fire forum?

Many of us have been waiting for hands on reviews of a product we purchased on faith. It shouldn't be surprising that we'd be excited that it looks like we made a good choice.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by getabout View Post
    I read these reviews and 'General Discussions' to hear and learn more about a product I am interested in .. and not to have folks push what they believe is a better tablet (HTC Flyer, iPad or whatever).

If I was interested in another brand tablet, I would select it and read specs and general comments in support of it. Like many, I did read and actually go to a store to hold, view and judge. But to have comments worded that anyone not agreeing with their selection is ... not thinking or less .. certainly is not appreciated. Go write your glowing support comments at your tablet website general comment section.

One has to wonder, are these pushy in my face know-it-alls .. might be stock holders in the other company, engineers or some insecure soul wanting to convince the world that he/she finally believe they know what is best for me and you?
    I agree with ThreeGreen, your comment lacks focus. BTW, whenever I read the "Amazon Cut Corners to Deliver at a Price" or "You Get What You Pay For" type reviews, I am filled with a warm and grateful feeling for Amazon. In fact, the more I read reviews, stuffed with technical details (lacks camera, only 8gb memory, is tiny, etc.), the more convinced I am that Amazon is on the right track. The Apple loyalists aren't likely to buy the KF to replace their iPad but they potentially will buy one for a second tablet. The $500 Android tablets will still complete with the iPad on specs but they can't compete on brand recognition and it seems unlikely that Apple yield their substantial lead where it comes to combining attractive hardware with a safe and well stocked app store.

What the KF does best is knock both Apple and the Android Tabs into a new defensive position because Amazon has claimed the middle. They alone will hold (possibly shared with BN) the value position for tablets. 80% of the capabilities for 40% of the price. And it's only going to get better because Apple isn't going to want to scrap with Amazon for the middle turf, which BTW will become the largest portion of the market, and Amazon will add value with each ensuing generation of Kindle to consolidate its customer base.

Love those negative reviews, my friends. Every time I read one, I smell victory. :-)
    Last edited by cale_kat; 11-14-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Because I can't leave well enough alone...
    seebee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Missing specs are easily balanced by the $199 price. I'd bet 95% of tablet users rarely use the cameras on them, yet iPad1 owners screamed with jealousy when the iPad2 came out having two crappy cameras. Every day I see people using the cameras in their phones though.

So specs are irrelivent, at least until they show up hindering the user experience. I can divide the tablets I own into two piles. One pile is for tablets that don't get in the way of being useful. Their UIs are responsive. Apps run with no hesitation. Movies play with no dropped frames or codec grief. Etc.. That second pile is for tablets that perpetually nag me doing something that interrupts my enjoyment of them. Some take an extra 30-60 seconds during boot to update the media database... every time you power them on! Some sit and think about it after you've touched or swiped their screens. They react, but late enough that you've touched or swiped the screen a second or third time in frustration. Some simply keep demanding I force close the same program... that I never use and never tapped on to run. These are things the Fire must never do, or we'll blame it on specs that weren't up to snuff.

I'm curious how well the Fire will handle location services with no GPS. The trend is "Social", and apps are more and more using location to add interest to shared information. It's easy enough to post the name of the book you are e-reading to your facebook or twitter account, but adding your current location (if it is just a little interesting) can expand the comments/responses far beyond what the title alone might have triggered. I love facebook posts with photos that are geo-tagged. Google or Bing maps will often take me there to virtually expand my appreciation of the setting. OK, no photos from the Fire, but as location gets used by more and more "killer" apps, the Fire will have that as a nagging deficiency we'll all blame on specs.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by 4DThinker; 11-15-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree that the lack of GPS is the one thing that I'd like to see in the next (more expensive?) version of the K Fire. Microphone would be 2nd on my list. BUT, the lack of them certainly wasn't a dealbreaker. Just means I will need to stick to my phone for the apps that use them.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I'm assuming they gambled that anyone who would be buying this already has a smartphone with all the toys.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    + 1 for the mic. I sure do use speech to text alot. I am using even more on this Vizio tablet that I am going to compare to the Kindle Fire. The loser between these two tablets gets returned. Lol

So far Vizio is winning because my shipping has been delayed for Kindle Fire. Lol

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links