Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Opendyslexic Font Not Available On HD 8, Canít Add New Fonts

This is a discussion on Opendyslexic Font Not Available On HD 8, Canít Add New Fonts within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Is there a way to get opendyslexic font on the fire HD 8 or add any fonts at all? I have a kindle paperwhite E-reader ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jobo

Thread: Opendyslexic Font Not Available On HD 8, Canít Add New Fonts

Member #

Opendyslexic Font Not Available On HD 8, Canít Add New Fonts

Is there a way to get opendyslexic font on the fire HD 8 or add any fonts at all?

I have a kindle paperwhite E-reader which has a plethora of fonts to include opendyslexic. The kindle app from google play on my android phone has a good number of font options to include opendyslexic font.
    Naturally, I figured the Kindle tablets would have the same options. So, I bought a Fire HD 8 for a friend who loves to read but suffers from dyslexia. Having read about this font I thought this would be a great gift for her so she can read with less difficulty AND have all the joys of having a tablet.
    Turns out the opendyslexic font is not available on the tablet and I cannot find any information as to why or if there is a way to add it. Even trying to add the kindle app from google play on the tablet (same one on my phone qith the font) and it says the reader on the tablet is the same at currently installed...just without the font choices.
    Can anyone help me out here? I know it can read the book to you but she doesn't want to listen, she wants to read.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    you can get amozan n books in dysexi a font, just done it. And quite probably any book ?

Open the book,

Tap the middle of the screen to get the read options, then hit aA at the top , then change font,and down at the bottom is the one you want,
    Let me know ???
    Last edited by jobo; 11-24-2018 at 04:42 AM.
    YogaGoat likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here's a list of 240 change font apps,
    https://m.apkpure.com/search?q=font+

Go in to settings/ security and allow apps from unknown sources, then down load,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    you can get amozan n books in dysexi a font, just done it. And quite probably any book ?

Open the book,

Tap the middle of the screen to get the read options, then hit aA at the top , then change font,and down at the bottom is the one you want,
    Let me know ???
    Thanks for the reply. I tried that and the Fire HD 8 only shows me 5 fonts to choose from: bookerly, georgia, helvetica, helvetica light, and lucida. There aren't more for me to scroll down on like on my phone.

Does anyone know why this is available by default on the phone app but not on their own tablet? That seems like a weird oversight.

Member #
    Here's a list of 240 change font apps,
    https://m.apkpure.com/search?q=font+

Go in to settings/ security and allow apps from unknown sources, then down load,
    Awesome, I'll check this out, thanks! Will these change the apps in the kindle reader itself? The gift is for someone who is frustratingly technologically impaired/computer illiterate so I'm trying to make this as seamless and uncomplicated as possible for them once I give it to them. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaGoat View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I tried that and the Fire HD 8 only shows me 5 fonts to choose from: bookerly, georgia, helvetica, helvetica light, and lucida. There aren't more for me to scroll down on like on my phone.

Does anyone know why this is available by default on the phone app but not on their own tablet? That seems like a weird oversight.
    Are you sure, both my dirt cheap 7 " and my 10" have that option, its seems unlikely they have neglected the 8"

Plan b down load the phone app on to the tablet

Member #
    Are you sure, both my dirt cheap 7 " and my 10" have that option, its seems unlikely they have neglected the 8"

Plan b down load the phone app on to the tablet
    So, i went through the list of apps you gave me and none of them adjust the fonts in the kindle reader app. I also can't diwnload the phone app through Google Play, I tried that when I first noticed this issue. The Google Play Store tells me I already have the app so...that doesn't help.

I have no idea why it only gives me 5 font options. Especially if you have the ability on the 7" and 10". I have tried scrolling down and going into the settings and the list wont scroll and there are no options to help with this issue in the settings. I'm at a complete loss of what to do and may just return the damn thing.

Member #
    Is there anyone else experiencing anything similiar or havelimited fonts to choose from on their HD 8? It would be nice to know whether this is standard or an anomaly.

Member #
    I restored the HD8 to factory defaults and it didn't fix any issues and nothing needs to be updated. Although, it did give me a new font. This is what I'm working with, the is no scrolling, this is apparently all I've got.

20181203_083511.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaGoat View Post
    I restored the HD8 to factory defaults and it didn't fix any issues and nothing needs to be updated. Although, it did give me a new font. This is what I'm working with, the is no scrolling, this is apparently all I've got.

20181203_083511.jpg
    It's extremely difficult with out the thing in my hand, I've just done it again with my 7" and below the Amazon bold, the last on your list is one more font if I scroll down and that is the dyslexia font you want,

Now I don't want to be patronising, but are you sure the list won't scroll down, by gentle putting your finger on it and moving it UPWARDS

If it won't scroll, click on the last font shown, to change it to bold, and then close and and open it again and the dyslexia font should now show ?

If not then I have no idea, may be another reader app. Or maybe try on this forum, as it's dedicated to kindle reading and they may have may have more idea than me, and this site is nearly only me.
    https://www.kboards.com/?thememode=mobile;
    Last edited by jobo; 12-03-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links