Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why Doesn't Google Play Like Us?

This is a discussion on Why Doesn't Google Play Like Us? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Sometimes I see an app I would like to try but it is on Google Play and they won't allow downloads to Kindle Fire. As ...

Member #

Why Doesn't Google Play Like Us?

Sometimes I see an app I would like to try but it is on Google Play and they won't allow downloads to Kindle Fire. As an example I read on CNN that a new Firefox browser is available. So I went to mozilla.com and their download link took me to Google Play... dead end :-( Fortunately mozilla has download available for all their apps Index of /pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases I downloaded the latest Firefox mobile version and it works well with some nice new features.

What's the problem here? Why doesn't Google Play like us?
    Last edited by CalBear; 06-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    It's an Amazon product that uses Amazon market by design.
    Look at 1mobile or Getjar for a market alternative to Google that works on a stock Fire

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Member #
    It turns out Amazon Market has some limitations, Here's the response I got from mozilla.

"Unfortunately, the Amazon app store requires that Firefox include additional software to be in the Amazon app store. So, we removed it from the store until we can resolve the issue. So, we do officially support Kindle Fire, but we need to resolve the problem with the app store before we make it available there."

I suppose we can guess why Google Play doesn't like us.... competition in other areas.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post

What's the problem here? Why doesn't Google Play like us?
    There are a few reasons as to why Google Play is not on the Kindle Fire (or the NOOK).

1. Amazon is not in the Open Handset Alliance ( Open Handset Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), and while Android as an OS is free to use, premium Android apps are not allowed to be included. This is also the reason why custom roms for different Android devices require you to install the "Google Apps" as an additional package.

2. Of course Amazon wants to profit as much as possible from the Kindle Fire (and B&N with the NOOK) so limiting competitor apps to a bare minimum also plays a factor. With every sale of an app in the Amazon Appstore, they make a %. With Google Play, they don't get anything, and Google gets the money. This is also why the NOOK market doesn't allow ad-supported apps.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links