Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Verizon Introduces No Contract "Mifi" Option

This is a discussion on Verizon Introduces No Contract "Mifi" Option within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; For those who need 3G/4G internet access for the wifi only Kindle Fire, Verizon has just introduced a new pre-paid monthly access plan for a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Verizon Introduces No Contract "Mifi" Option

For those who need 3G/4G internet access for the wifi only Kindle Fire, Verizon has just introduced a new pre-paid monthly access plan for a Mobile Hotspot (i.e. "Mifi') that does NOT require a long-term contract.

The process works like this. You purchase a Mifi device (4510L) from Verizon for $130. Not coincidentally, this is the additional cost for 3G/4G functionality on the iPad.

Once you've purchased the device, you can purchase 1-10 gigabytes of download access for $20-$80 per month. Unlike a long-term contract, however, you can purchase the service on a monthly basis only when you need it. For those who travel occasionally and want to avoid the need to find wifi access, this can be a worthwhile option.

In effect, this is the same kind of plan offered by Verizon and other carriers for the new iPad. Other carriers offer similar plans but may not guarantee high speed performance or access to the Verizon 4G/LTE network.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Verizon Wireless. Nor do I think this is an ideal plan for everyone. However, considering the number of Kindle Fire users who want/need internet access at locations where a wifi connection is not easily available, it can be a relatively economical high speed access option.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    This is perfect for me. I have a Fire,Tab and Kindle Touch that are wifi only and might prefer a secure wifi when out and about vs the freebies at burger world, coffee shops or a hotel.
    I'd been contemplating a Virgin mifi

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    This is perfect for me. I have a Fire,Tab and Kindle Touch that are wifi only and might prefer a secure wifi when out and about vs the freebies at burger world, coffee shops or a hotel.
    I'd been contemplating a Virgin mifi

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Mark,

There are other alternatives. As you note, Virgin Mobile offers a pre-paid option. And Netzero does as well. However, if you read the fine print on those plans you'll find that true 4G/LTE service isn't available and they can become quite expensive if you go over your monthly allotment. This is the first NO CONTRACT plan for a "mifi" device from a major carrier that offers essentially the same level of performance and options for data ceilings available for two year contract plans.

I've been extremely pleased with the 4G/LTE performance from Verizon over the last year. It's very fast. Coverage is fantastic even in relatively obscure locations. And there is no "throttling" of service if you go over your monthly allotment.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    For those who need 3G/4G internet access for the wifi only Kindle Fire, Verizon has just introduced a new pre-paid monthly access plan for a Mobile Hotspot (i.e. "Mifi') that does NOT require a long-term contract.

The process works like this. You purchase a Mifi device (4510L) from Verizon for $130. Not coincidentally, this is the additional cost for 3G/4G functionality on the iPad.

Once you've purchased the device, you can purchase 1-10 gigabytes of download access for $20-$80 per month. Unlike a long-term contract, however, you can purchase the service on a monthly basis only when you need it. For those who travel occasionally and want to avoid the need to find wifi access, this can be a worthwhile option.

In effect, this is the same kind of plan offered by Verizon and other carriers for the new iPad. Other carriers offer similar plans but may not guarantee high speed performance or access to the Verizon 4G/LTE network.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Verizon Wireless. Nor do I think this is an ideal plan for everyone. However, considering the number of Kindle Fire users who want/need internet access at locations where a wifi connection is not easily available, it can be a relatively economical high speed access option.
    Do you have a link? Coincidentally I was looking at this recently to add to my account but the Jetpack price was/is listed at $270.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Mark,

There are other alternatives. As you note, Virgin Mobile offers a pre-paid option. And Netzero does as well. However, if you read the fine print on those plans you'll find that true 4G/LTE service isn't available and they can become quite expensive if you go over your monthly allotment. This is the first NO CONTRACT plan for a "mifi" device from a major carrier that offers essentially the same level of performance and options for data ceilings available for two year contract plans.

I've been extremely pleased with the 4G/LTE performance from Verizon over the last year. It's very fast. Coverage is fantastic even in relatively obscure locations. And there is no "throttling" of service if you go over your monthly allotment.
    Overage would never be a problem and I am just looking at it for the security. I have my LTE phone but looking at my bank statement on a 10" or 7" screen is much easier on my eyes than my 4+" phone. If the statement takes 45 seconds to load vs 4 seconds I'm ok with that as well.
    I think the most we ever used on my wifes iPad was 50 MB and I never activated my data on mine.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to drop by my local Verizon store sometime soon and check it out

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk Blue post

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Do you have a link? Coincidentally I was looking at this recently to add to my account but the Jetpack price was/is listed at $270.
    You owe me one. I detest the Verizon website but after wandering about in the labyrinth of their horribly designed site I found the link.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...=5886&prepay=1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Link says the item I chose is not available for my zip code,central Va

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I asked a couple of posters in another forum to check . Southern California and central Florida get the same screen i got

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    I asked a couple of posters in another forum to check . Southern California and central Florida get the same screen i got

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Argghhh....Probably just a glitch in the Verizon website. I've dealt with these idiots for years and have to say that if I chose my cell phone provider on the basis of the quality of their website Verizon would be the last carrier I'd choose. My guess is that since the plan started today it hasn't percolated through the various parts of the damn website. You might try calling them. I've usually found that the humans are marginally better than the website for most things I need to do.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    It's probably a north west region promo and if it does well , by their definition, it'll spread. Verizon has stuck their noses up at anything pre pay for years but since they are only making a bazillion in profits per quarter over the last couple of years they've had to hold their nose and offer a halfway decent pre pay option now.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Ads