Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When to buy the Fire?

This is a discussion on When to buy the Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I've had a DX for a couple of years. But my wife has gotten hooked on it. I'm ready to buy a Fire, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: When to buy the Fire?

Member #

When to buy the Fire?

I've had a DX for a couple of years. But my wife has gotten hooked on it. I'm ready to buy a Fire, but I understand a new model may be out in two or three months. The first Fire's price may be reduced some by then. The refurbs are currently $169 and have been as low as $139 a month or so ago.

Any advice on "when to buy" relative to when the new model will come out? Not knowing how Fire 2 might be different, I'm not sure if I'd rather have the 2 at full price (whatever that may be) or the 1 at a discounted price. Oh, such decisions!

One of my concerns is the limited, unexpandable onboard storage and whether the Cloud storage will meet my needs. There are a lot of WiFi hotspots around town. And I may use it principally around the house. But I'm wondering if the limited on-board storage space has been a problem for anyone. What are your usage patterns or workarounds?

PS: When I'm hungry looking at this forum's logo, I think of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    Last edited by Kindler and Gentler; 04-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I can't really give you any advice on the right time to buy but I can tell you I haven't had any issues with storage. I usually keep 2 full length movies on mine, a book or two, plusall the apps I need. My music has been uploaded to both Google and Amazon so I can stream whenever I'm near wifi. I use Dropbox for pictures and documents. I also have Sugarsync, Box, and Minus accounts but don't use them much. I mostly use my Fire around the house but load up the things I know I'll want when I'll be away from wifi.... And thank you... now I want fried chicken!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I don't think anyone (outside the inner sanctum of Amazon) can give you much advice about the timing or features of a KF2. In general, the rumors focus primarily on a larger size, more internal storage, and built-in 4G. Frankly, I already have an iPad 2 and wouldn't be interested in a larger KF and with both a 4G mobile hotspot and a tetherable 4G cell phone with an unlimited data plan a 4G KF doesn't interest me, either. Bluetooth would make the KF a more reasonable content creation device (enabling a separate physical keyboard) and with a larger screen it might be tempting to some.

As far as more internal storage is concerned, I've had no issues, whatsoever. But about 95% of the time I have a very fast connection via my cable modem and home wifi network. And when I don't, the 4G mobile hotspot keeps me linked to the Amazon cloud.

I'll be interested to see what Amazon comes up with but I'm frankly skeptical about the wisdom of trying to compete with the iPad in terms of features/functionality. I think the maximum price point for the device is $300 (given Apple's pricing of the iPad 2) and I just don't see Amazon getting into the tablet business with both feet. They are not, after all, a computer manufacturer and I don't see them making the infrastructure investment to support a fully comprehensive Android tablet that sells at close to their cost and does little to encourage more shopping at Amazon. Some consumers may like the idea but as an Amazon stockholder I'm not excited by the prospect.

As far as pricing is concerned, I'd expect to see the original KF to be a few dollars less than the current $200 price point. But unless they've figured out a way to squeeze their suppliers significantly, they can't lower the price very much without taking an even more significant loss on the sale of the KF.

All in all, I'd recommend getting the current KF and adding a Kingston wi-drive for additional storage if you want to store thousands of books, hundreds of songs, and ten or so movies. It'll cost you an additional $50 and works quite well. Built-in 4G is simply not necessary, imo, especially if you have a tetherable smartphone or a mobile hotspot. That's going to cost you an additional $20-$80 per month but that would be true even if the 4G came built-in on the KF.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    If Amazon does the Fire like their other than Kindle devices, there won't be a price drop when the new one comes out. Local stores may discount to unload inventory but even then I wouldn't look for huge drops in price.
    The Fire is already sold at a loss.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk Blue post

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    As with any technology purchase, if you wait for the next best thing that's around the corner, you will be waiting forever. My advice is, if you want a KF then forget about hedging your bet and go ahead and get one. You can be enjoying it while waiting.

I use a Kingston wi-drive with my KF to store movies, music and pics, other things don't take up enough space to worry about. I also use DropBox which makes it easy to access content I have saved there.

Member #
    Thanks, all, for your shared observations.

I have not purchsed any tablet yet. Too much money for me. I won't go above $250. I spend several hours a day on my desktop. The HP Pavilion dm1 mini-laptop I got a year ago is used less than I anticipated because of its large and heavy form factor, even though it is a fairly small, 12" screen device - and not especially speedy on web surfing. Actually I bought it thinking I would hook it up to the TV to get web-based video broadcasts instead of getting something like a Roku. But the source I intended to view did not meet expectations for "ease of use."

I have a Dell Axim PDA that is about 8-10-year old technology - a touch screen but nothing like Android. Unfortunately it has not synched contacts and calendars very reliably for the past several years, so I haven't used it much.

I use my Kindle DX for reading (when my wife isn't using it) and for occasional surfing news and commentary. But the web performance is truly "experimental" and very slow - and web formatting is highly variable, and frankly, quite klunky.

Yes, since the outboard wi-fi storage option was mentioned, my concern with the limitation of on-board storage is reduced.

I do like the DX's 3G when I'm out and about. At least I can get the news in a timely way. I would probably miss that capability with the Fire, but more and more places have wi-fi so isolated situations may not be a frequent problem.

I know the Fire is not a PDA (I'm interested in Contact and Calendar capability, synchronized). But I understand there are some pretty decent programs that can fill that need.

My remaining concern is I am torn between being an "early adopter" of a new model, and buying an "older model" just 2 or 3 months before the new model comes out - especially if there will be little if any price reduction in the older model.

This is a classic case of "analysis paralysis". Or more accurately a case of "I don't have enough information." "Since I am not sure, the best thing to do is wait", I tell myself. My other self says "why wait - it does 95% of what you want it to do." Arrggghhhh!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The newest Galaxy Tab 7" is coming out in about a week or less.
    Imagine your phone without the 3g, with a newer os and 7" screen and you've got the Tab

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    The newest Galaxy Tab 7" is coming out in about a week or less.
    Imagine your phone without the 3g, with a newer os and 7" screen and you've got the Tab

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Heretic.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Heretic.
    And it is listing at $249 and comes with 40gb of free Dropbox storage.
    Editid I mention dual core, like the Fire and ,unlike the Fire , a micro sd slot?
    I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2
    <><
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 04-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I consider one of the nicest features of the Fire to be the fact that it slips into my inside coat pocket on my jean jacket. I think it fits a nice niche in the market. I recently took it with me to a conference and was very happy with the way it allowed me to have a device on hand that did not monopolize a bag or my hand yet was there for note taking and email checking...and the occasional fact check.

At the same conference I won a drawing for an Ipod touch, the camera and audio recording features are nice...but the screen is too small for real work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links