Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This article parallels my thoughts on the KF

This is a discussion on This article parallels my thoughts on the KF within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Why I'm returning my new iPad and buying a Kindle Fire - Yahoo! News The author (who writes an iPad blog) tells why he is ...

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

This article parallels my thoughts on the KF

Why I'm returning my new iPad and buying a Kindle Fire - Yahoo! News
    The author (who writes an iPad blog) tells why he is returning the new iPad and buying a Kindle Fire.

Member #
    This was actually a decent read for a yahoo article. The points are valid and for 1/3 the price you get one heck of a device.

I'm a new KF owner but in the few days I've had it I am finding less reasons to use my 10" tablet. It is more portable and since I am using mine mainly for media, the screen configuration is better for movies and the few games I play from time to time. Even web browsing has been great with some sites supporting the reading view which makes reading longer articles a breeze!

So far I'm pleased with my purchase!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Purchased an iPad 2 a little more than a year ago. Didn't really need it but I was interested in the whole tablet mania and my six year old daughter was enchanted with the iPad her uncle brought along for a visit. As it happened, it replaced a small 11" netbook I'd used mainly on plane trips and was all in all a great device. Filled a personal "gap" between my smartphone and my 15" quadcore laptop.

At the time I was struck by the fact that many folks who had purchased laptops over the past few years were forced to "overbuy" to meet their rather minimal requirements for content consumption and (minimal) content creation. The iPad met those requirements in a more portable form factor with a longer battery life. Quite an achievement and an obvious factor in the iPad's phenomenal sales and the impact it had on low end laptop sales.

Seems to me that the Kindle Fire plays much the same role in relation to the iPad. I almost never use the cameras in my iPad, seldom find any use for a microphone. The (almost) 10" screen is nice for watching videos but the 4x3 aspect ratio isn't ideal for watching wide screen films. I've loaded my iPad with about 150 apps but most I never use. I added a bluetooth keyboard for use when I have to use the iPad for writing but serious work is still reserved for my laptop and the 23" monitor attached to it. Even if I could have multiple re-sizable windows on the iPad the 10" screen would make the functionality worthless. And that would be true of the retina display on the "new" iPad, as well.

Purchased a Kindle Fire at the first of this year. It's more portable (making it a better e-reader) and in spite of its smaller screen is nearly as good as the iPad for movies as a result of its near 16x9 aspect ratio. Serious content creation is out of the question. Unlike the iPad the KF can't be "stretched" that far in terms of functionality. But as noted above, the iPad can't be "stretched" to make my laptop obsolete, either. With half the screen real estate of iPad, web browsing is more problematic but I don't use either device for true web "browsing." Each is limited to looking at a particular website for particular information. And in that scenario the KF is nearly as good as the iPad. Storage? I've downloaded over a hundred apps for the KF but almost half are sitting in the Amazon cloud if I need them. I have about 30 books on the KF and can't imagine why I'd want to load more at any one time. (I don't take my entire wardrobe with me when I travel, either.)

If I had only one device, it would be the iPad. But I'm fortunate enough not to have to choose and can afford to spend 3 times as much on an iPad. If I were younger and earning what I earned 30 years ago, I'd be very tempted to skip the iPad altogether and stick with the KF. And I think that's the choice many folks face. I don't think I'd say, as the author of the article does, that the KF meets 95% of my requirements for a tablet but I would say that it provides at least 80% of the iPad's functionality at 30-50% of the price.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Very good article. No bashing of anyone by anyone yet factual without holding back. Though I loathed the stock Fire UI, it isn't boring and so last decade like ios is on my ipad.
    One thing I'd say different is why I don't use the camera on my Galaxy Tab is imagine holding up an 8x10 photo frame and taking a picture with it. Same with an ipad.
    I agree it makes a very nice tweener size between phone and Tab. I can't imagine trying to fit my Tab in my cargo pants or jacket pocket and reading on a 4.3" phone screen can be a real pain in the eyes.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts via Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I, too, have found the Fire to be my go-to device for quick online access when on the go. I also use it occasionally for streaming. That said, I still prefer my 16:9 Xoom 4G and its gorgeous display (it took Apple a year to catch up with their Retina). It's perfect for movies and is the proportion of a hardback book. The five home screens are fully customizable with active widgets and push notifications. It goes without saying that it is also prefered for typing.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links