Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are screen protectors necessary?

This is a discussion on Are screen protectors necessary? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I have heard some buzz over the Kindle Fire's screen being rather tough, and that screen protectors are a waste of money for these devices. ...

Member #

Are screen protectors necessary?

I have heard some buzz over the Kindle Fire's screen being rather tough, and that screen protectors are a waste of money for these devices.

What is your experience with this so far? Is this screen as tough as people claim?

When the device is only $199, it seems silly to spend money on screen protectors and cases....

Any real experience on the matter?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    you drop it....its done...if you do scratch it...its forever....i have a case and a screen protector....better safe than sorry is my motto...

Member #
    It is Gorilla Glass ([COLOR=BLUE[Link[/COLOR]) so its tough to scratch/break. However, it can be done.

You cant scratch it with a knife or something like that but sand WILL scratch it. Sands not just at the beach. As an engineer Im always concerned with the consequences of failure. I cover my screen because IMHO, the consequence if something should happen outweighs the cost and installation of a screen protector. I believe its cheap protection.

I have and InvisibleShield on mine. Another good thing about a screen protector, mine at least, it provides just enough drag to make my swipes more accurate. Drag is not really the right term because it isnt like you can feel it pulling on your finger as you slide across the screen. I guess the best way to put is it isnt as slippery as the glass alone. In that sense it makes my big fat fingers more accurate on the touch screen.

My 4.8 FWIW.

Mike

DBSTalk, Camera3, KindleBoards, SCWF
    ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home
    Since it costs 2.4 to produce a penny, my 2 worth is really 4.8 worth.

Member #
    I have a screen protector and case. I am the same way with my cell. When I spend my money on something I want to protect it the best I can

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post
    I have heard some buzz over the Kindle Fire's screen being rather tough, and that screen protectors are a waste of money for these devices.

What is your experience with this so far? Is this screen as tough as people claim?

When the device is only $199, it seems silly to spend money on screen protectors and cases....

Any real experience on the matter?
    As one who has always installed screen protectors on tablets, PDAs, phones, PMPs, (SGP brand) and all my DSLRs (Giotto protectors), I have NOT installed one on my Fire. I really like the crystal-clear resolution on the Fire, free from the fine scratches that will eventually appear on any protector with use (except Giottos, they are actually made from glass). I deal with very few fingerprints and keep a clean microfiber cloth handy that I use for my good camera lenses. Gorilla Glass is tough and should stay looking flawless unless one is particularly hard on devices. I do keep it in a MicroShell, however.

Member #
    Have you tried Invisible Shield? One of the things that really appealed to me was the fact that it doesn't show any scratches. Seriously, not one scratch.

Mike

DBSTalk, Camera3, KindleBoards, SCWF
    ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home
    Since it costs 2.4 to produce a penny, my 2 worth is really 4.8 worth.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is a very resistant screen, but do you really want to take the chance? Screen protectors seem to be a worthwhile investment if you want your screen to not get jacked up within a matter of months

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Necessary, no.
    I have two Skinomi brand KF protectors purchased from Amazon and they are both cut 1mm too long at the bottom, but that's ok since my KF cover surrounds the edges of the film, thereby preventing my defective film from coming loose, or from being an eyesore. With my situation in mind, I love it.
    I paid $10 each for my screen protector and my KF case and they both work beautifully. I know Amazon has at least five different companies who make screen protectors for the KF.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    In my experience there are two kinds of people in the world; those who like screen protectors and those who hate them. I'm in the latter camp. The KF is now my fourth device with Gorilla Glass. Never put a screen protector on one (the oldest now being three+ years old) and never ever had a scratch. And I've avoided the delights of eliminating air bubbles, filmy displays, and screen protector replacements. Having said that, however, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

() I'm OCD about keeping smudges and fingerprints off my screen. Keep a microfiber cloth handy and I wipe the screen probably four or five times a day. I keep the cloth(s) free of grit and dirt.

() Gorilla Glass is VERY tough. It's shatter resistant but it's not "shatterproof." I always keep my devices in tough leather cases that protect the edges, corners, and covers. Drops are inevitable but I've never had any damage on my cell phones, iPad, or KF. If I didn't have such cases I'd be much more concerned about a drop on a hard surface, especially with a "corner or screen hit" shattering the glass. And in that case, I'd at least add the minimal protection against shattering the glass that a screen protector provides.

So pay your money and take your choice.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links