Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I need help!

This is a discussion on I need help! within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I have had my Kindle Fire since Christmas and I love it. But for the last few days it's been acting really weird. When I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help!

Member #

I need help!

I have had my Kindle Fire since Christmas and I love it.
    But for the last few days it's been acting really weird. When I am using it and I plug the charger in... it shuts itself off and won't come on at all while charging and the light won't even come on. What it is wrong with it or what should I do?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Are you using the charger that came with it? Using another could cause problems

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts via Tapatalk

Member #
    Yes, I am. But I have used my cell charger a few times on it.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Meaganleann,

I can almost guarantee that the problem lies with the battery monitoring software in the KF and the battery itself getting "out of sync." When you look at that little battery icon you may think it's like a fuel gauge in a car that directly measures the amount of "fuel" (i.e. charge) is "in the tank." That's understandable but it's not true. Instead, a battery monitor reads the voltage being supplied by the battery, compares that to a "profile" of usage and estimates the amount of remaining power as the battery discharges and the voltage drops. If the KF (or other devices) does not have a reliable profile, it can result in the KF thinking it has sufficient charge when it doesn't or vice versa. Either condition leads to unpredictable behavior including shutting down unexpectedly or failing to turn on.

Here's what to do. It's won't fix your problem if you have a faulty battery or charge cable but otherwise it should straighten out your problem.

() If your KF is operating, do a hard reset. (30 second press of the power button.) If not don't worry about it. Just proceed.
    () Turn off the KF. All the way OFF.
    () Plug in the cable that came with the KF. Don't use another cable.
    () Leave it plugged in and don't mess with it for several hours. Overnight is ideal.
    () Remove the cable from the KF and push the power button for a few seconds. The KF should boot.
    () Assuming it boots, use it normally without recharging until the warning appears that you have 15% battery remaining.
    () At that point, turn it off again and repeat the procedure above.

Once it is operating normally, follow this practice of fully charging and then draining the battery down to 15% every month, or so. This will re-establish the "calibration" that you just went through above. Avoid using other chargers with the KF. They will probably work, but there may be a problem with correct "calibration" between the battery monitor and the battery if you do so. Avoid completely draining the KF by leaving it on until it shuts down by itself. The KF should "protect itself" by shutting down with 5% or so battery charge remaining, but if the calibration is out of sync, it may not do that correctly and lithium ion batteries don't like to be completely drained; it shortens their life. Furthermore, once the KF is COMPLETELY out of juice it may have problems even taking a charge.

By the way, none of this stuff is unique to the KF. Devices such as smartphones and other tablets (yes, even the iPad) can suffer the same fate. And that's why Apple recommends going through the drill above about once a month for the iPad.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 03-25-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Meaganleann View Post
    Yes, I am. But I have used my cell charger a few times on it.
    And that can contribute to your calibration problems as well. Your cell charger is a one-amp charger -- the Fire takes twice as much which is why the OEM chager is 1.8a. (a third-party 2.1a works fine too)

Member #
    Thanks so much for sharing. I followed the process and my KF is now working the way it should!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    And that can contribute to your calibration problems as well. Your cell charger is a one-amp charger -- the Fire takes twice as much which is why the OEM chager is 1.8a. (a third-party 2.1a works fine too)
    Thanks for letting me know. My KF is my baby and I didn't realize that using other chargers would harm it. Lol.
    I won't be doing that anymore... Thanks for the info!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Glad this worked out for you!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Thanks for letting me know. My KF is my baby and I didn't realize that using other chargers would harm it. Lol.
    Using a lower amperage charger won't damage your KF but it will take longer to charge and may not be able to charge at all if you try to operate the KF with it plugged in.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Lower amperage will not harm your Fire -- it just will not do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links