Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where is the kindle section?

This is a discussion on Where is the kindle section? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Time will tell....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where is the kindle section?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Time will tell.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    You're right for the moment. With quad-core processors and cloud connections coming I doubt there will be anything you need a desktop PC for that a tablet can't also do. The major software companies I deal with have already made parallel apps to run on the current family of tablets. Video editing, photo editing, CAD and 3D rendering all needed a powerful PC. All can be done on a tablet now, and will happen 10x as fast next year.
    I think your right on the money.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    I think your right on the money.
    Just wish I was always sitting on money. Generally it leaves my wallet faster than it shows up there. Faster than the speed of light.

As for tablets, I'm looking for a desk sized one. Heck, I'll build the desk around it. Would have done that with a redundant 40" HDTV I have if it had a touchscreen. I'll build one into a TV tray as soon as I can find one 16x24ish and less than 1/2" thick.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Checked out Surface?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Checked out Surface?
    Since the first youtube video came out about it. Fun tech, but looks more like eye candy than a productive UI. Lots of graphic tricks, but I haven't seen anyone running MS Office on one.

The thin tablets that are showing up intrigue me. Not quite right for inlaying into a coffee table, but I've seriously though about mounting a 7" in the arm of my sofa. Ergonomics not quite right though. I've got a TV tray stand that I can flip inside out. Thinking about inlaying a 10" tablet in one side of the top. Wish I had a 15" to use instead though. The 15" screen of my laptop is a better size for that location.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Cool idea. Have you seen video of Samsung's new transparent screens?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Cool idea. Have you seen video of Samsung's new transparent screens?
    Yes, and those look like an idea looking for a purpose. I think about every time I'm looking at a screen, and can't think of a single time when I wish the screen data/info was lost among visual clutter behind the screen.

Staples and other places sell lap desks, essentially a wood platform with a lap pillow attached. I have a couple, and they get used to make a flat spot on my lap to set a tablet or netbook (or dinner) on. I'm thinking "Why not have the tablet inlaid into that lapdesk?".

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My first PC is a state-of-the-art IBM AT and I was pround to have it.
    Oh what a good old time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    You're right for the moment. With quad-core processors and cloud connections coming I doubt there will be anything you need a desktop PC for that a tablet can't also do. The major software companies I deal with have already made parallel apps to run on the current family of tablets. Video editing, photo editing, CAD and 3D rendering all needed a powerful PC. All can be done on a tablet now, and will happen 10x as fast next year.
    Using 3D modeling and stress analysis packages as well as spreadsheets and various post processors all running at the same time on a daily basis I can tell you it ain’t gonna happen any time soon. I couldn’t imagine trying to do my job on a 10” screen. It’s just not big enough to see all the model elements and columns of numbers. Heck, I have a 22” monitor and some days that's not big enough.

My machine at work has dual quad-core Xeon processors with 12GB of ram and I can still bog it down with some of analysis models we run. No matter how powerful tablets are there are certain things it’s just not gonna do. Some of our platforms run dual 22” monitors. You can’t to this kind of work on a tablet.

Not to mention that there are areas where I work where mobile devices aren’t allowed. I work for a defense contractor and the classified networks are in lock down areas and in some of these you can’t even bring a cell phone. In the areas where we can bring cell phones they can’t be within a certain distance of the hardware. These systems are hardwired and RF shielded. Tablets are long way from being used in these capacities.

I would be very surprised if tablets replace desktops or even laptops completely. They may have the power for 3D modeling and analysis but if you can’t see everything they’re pretty useless. I could be wrong but in my experience there are things tablets will never be able to do.

Mike
    Last edited by MicroBeta; 01-10-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: more clearer-ish

DBSTalk, Camera3, KindleBoards, SCWF
    ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home
    Since it costs 2.4 to produce a penny, my 2 worth is really 4.8 worth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links