Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where is the kindle section?

This is a discussion on Where is the kindle section? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Good times... 8 inch floppies and cassette drives....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where is the kindle section?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Good times... 8 inch floppies and cassette drives.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Who would have thought all you would need was a 1/2" thick touchscreen to do 100 times more than you could with those old boxes. Hell, before tablets we could do all this on a phone. With the moon landings being dug up for movie scores it reminds me that my watch no doubt has more processing power than the computers that they used on the Apollo missions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    It truly is breathtaking when you stop and think about the progress in just the last two decades.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Anyone miss CP/M?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    ASUS TF300, 32GB w/Dock (Thanks TFF)
    Nexus 7, 16GB
    Kindle Fire HD, 7"
    Samsung Epic 4G

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    CP/M eh? You win.

I suppose the direction this thread has gone could have happened on any computing forum, and probably has hundreds of times. The last couple of years have been a miraculous leap in pocket tech, and I have to blame it on Apple. It was only what seemed like a few days ago that a Handspring Treo blew me away with how advanced it was and useful, despite not having WiFi and needing to be synced with my PC every day to update email and any other data I needed. That original iPod Touch made every PDA obsolete instantly, and it wasn't even trying. Users forced Apple to put the iPhone email/calendar/contact apps on the Touch in an update, or jailbreakers would do it for them. The Touch/iPhone led to Android. The iPad led to Android tablets. Android tablets led Amazon to the Fire, and here we are.

I'm looking forward to next year when Win8 shows up on a 20 hour tablet that is 1/4" thick. Bill (Gates) will be so happy!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I'm not the biggest Microsoft fan, but I'm thinking Windows 8 may be the real game changer. First windows version I can remember being excited about.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I remember 30 years ago, they used a old Wang computer at work.
    It took all day to sort a inventory list.
    At that time a Vic20 could do the job in about 5 minutes.
    They wouldn't get rid of the Wang, because it cost several thousand dollars.
    Computers now could do the same is several seconds.
    I wonder how things are going to change in only the next few years
    With small tablets and cloud computing things are advancing rapidly.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    We live in such an incredible period in the history of technology. I too easily fail to appreciate that.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm not a hardcore gadget guy but the way computers have worked their way into just about everything is interesting when you stop to think about it.

I'm not going to say that it was Apple or tablets in general because I really see them a a step back or a side step at best.
    I think what has happened however is that many people are asking for less “tech in their tech” and the smart phone market and tablet market has given them that.

Desktops and laptops are still the systems to beat when it comes to true power and ability.
    Tablets having given people another option for the things they want to do which is not always about pure power.

Choice is always a good thing and I believe it will only push engineers more.

My 2 pennies...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidef1080 View Post
    Desktops and laptops are still the systems to beat when it comes to true power and ability.
    Tablets having given people another option for the things they want to do which is not always about pure power.

My 2 pennies...
    You're right for the moment. With quad-core processors and cloud connections coming I doubt there will be anything you need a desktop PC for that a tablet can't also do. The major software companies I deal with have already made parallel apps to run on the current family of tablets. Video editing, photo editing, CAD and 3D rendering all needed a powerful PC. All can be done on a tablet now, and will happen 10x as fast next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links