Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Am I missing something here?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something here? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Why would I want to carry this thing on the road or around with me? Hear me out. 1. It doesn't have a built in ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Member #

Am I missing something here?

Why would I want to carry this thing on the road or around with me? Hear me out.

1. It doesn't have a built in GPS so I can't use it to get directions when I'm lost.
    2. It doesn't have a rear facing camera so I can't take pictures at social gathering.
    3. No photo viewing app either to show friends and and relatives recent photos (from what I have read)
    4. It doesn't have a front facing camera or microphone which means no video conferencing with the office or clients.
    5. No skyping my wife and kids on business trips either.
    6. No bluetooth means no wireless headphones, keyboards and other devices.
    7. No SD card support for local storage (I don't use them much but others do. To expensive for what they do) also no word on how non Amazon purchased media will be handled.
    8. No word on tethering to smart phones means mobile hot spots (which I do have) or wi-fi cafe's and other locations.
    9. No HDMI out means I have to watch movies on my 7" screen instead of the hotel provided HDTV.
    10. No gyroscope or accelerometer means questionable gaming and developer support for all but the simplest games.

Am I missing something here? This is a Nook competitor not a tablet. If I want to read books, listen to music and surf th web on the cheap with something bigger than a smartphone, the Nook and the this device would be running neck and neck. But, If I where looking to get a tablet that does all that I mentioned above and what the Kindle Fire does I would be looking at an Acer A100, the Samsung galaxy 7 or 7.7 or the Archos Gen 9 8 Honeycomb tablet, not this. This is the Kindle version of the Nook!

I may get this just to play around with but I wouldn't carry it with me because it just doesn't do anything I would need it to do on the road. Note I didn't say it was a bad product it just not a tablet.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    It does what I need it do to.

Only you can make the call on what you want and need so if it is not road worthy to you then don not take it on the road.

I think it is a great tablet.
    gbarkley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    While I have pre-ordered a Fire, I think the OP has nailed some very important considerations that I am still struggling with. I can do most of what's missing from the Fire on my HTC Thunderbolt. So, right now I'm leaning towards checking out the Fire & thinking that because the price is so good, I can wait for the tablet market to mature while I decide what I really want in my Android smartphone and what I want in a tablet.

One note: I will probably try out a bluetooth dongle to use BT headphones (yeah, I know, it's another gadget that should be unnecessary)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's kinda like the difference between a content consumption device, versus a content generation device. There are plenty of other, more fully featured tablets, for sure (I have the A500 and A100 from Acer, and they both rock!, and a rom'd Nook Color), but this is a niche tablet, specifically designed for the AMZ ecosystem. AMZ Kindle Fire=Apple iPad=B&N Nook Color. Hope to hack this Fire too, but I'm also thinking it could be used in stock state for most of my consumption needs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidef1080 View Post
    It does what I need it do to.

Only you can make the call on what you want and need so if it is not road worthy to you then don not take it on the road.

I think it is a great tablet.
    To be clear I own several tablets (Archos 101,Acer A500, ipad and a ipad2. I do everything on tablets including texting, emails, lyric writing and short notes (I am in the music business), play games (a lot) view photos and videos, take photos and videos, edit photos and videos, play music, surf the web and with my Acer, I do it all while connected to my HDTV! I mount my tablet and or my Xperia play phone in my car and use the GPS for turn by turn directions. Tablets are the ideal traveling device when paired with a mobile hotspot and have real world applications and uses. I'm not trying to be argumentative but if you can't use your tablet in real world situations it's really not worth the purchase even at $200. It has got to do more than what they are advertising other wise it's just a nice color E-reader with a new web browser and media players for amazon content. That's fine just don't call it a tablet. Here's my prediction. It will come out the box strong because Amazon is going to push it hard. It will be rooted and hacked to death to get more functionality out of it. It will have to be heavily accessorized to get more out of what it is advertised to do and with in a year Amazon will be releasing a Kindle-Fire 2 with all the features they stripped out of this one!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csolo View Post
    with in a year Amazon will be releasing a Kindle-Fire 2 with all the features they stripped out of this one!
    @$199, I can get a year's worth of use outta the Fire1, and be ready for Fire2, too. Can we call it a 'special-purpose' tablet, rather than general purpose?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Again if you know what you want I do not see the problem.
    If the Fire is not what you want or need then you know what you need to do.
    I do my real work on a real PC which no table can come close to but that does not mean that I see tablets as bad because they cannot do things they were not designed to do.

There are many options out there I am sure you can find something that will work for you.
    You seem smart...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csolo View Post
    To be clear I own several tablets (Archos 101,Acer A500, ipad and a ipad2. I do everything on tablets including texting, emails, lyric writing and short notes (I am in the music business), play games (a lot) view photos and videos, take photos and videos, edit photos and videos, play music, surf the web and with my Acer, I do it all while connected to my HDTV! I mount my tablet and or my Xperia play phone in my car and use the GPS for turn by turn directions.
    I do most of that with my phone. For me,that's my ultimate travel device. It really depends on what you need. For work I need a system with two monitors. I know people who have returned tablets (both iOS and Android) because they found out they weren't the kind of production devices they required.

I have no problem calling the Fire a tablet. That's just the form factor. For me the price seems more than reasonable for what's being offered.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The nice thing about competition in the Tablet space is that there is one for any use scenario. I'm lucky to be able to try them all, and as I peruse the tablets out there their differences stand out more than their similarities. I know people like the OP who would be frustrated with what the Fire can't do. I also know far more that don't use half the features on their far more capable tablets and phones. I just added the HTC Flyer to my collection and it's pen/scribe technology makes all pretenders pale. I'm a design educator though, and sketch more than I write. Scribe is a perfect solution for my specific needs, but I don't see anyone who doesn't like to sketch needing that feature.

The Fire will appeal to the millions of people that aren't like the OP or me. They wouldn't think to use a tablet as GPS in their car. They'll be happy to read their books, listen to their music, shop at Amazon.com, and check their email from the Fire. All from their living room sofa.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    There's a reason it's priced at 199. I think it's a great device, especially if you are an amazon fanatic. My wife and I use amazon at least every week, and she uses her Kindle religiously. It's attached to her it seems and I have to tell you, her 3rd Gen Kindle is an AMAZING device. The ability to do everything her Kindle can do, plus much, much more has me chomping at the bit.

Plus, this thing will get rooted which equals even more awesomeness

As far as navigation, and using it in the car, that's what my Thunderbolt is for. It has done everything I need it to do so I won't be missing any features. But just as others have said, it's totally up to you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links