Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Am I missing something here?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something here? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I Just read what was said about Splashtop and installed it in my Atrix and Laptop..what a great app..This will def. be on my new ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I Just read what was said about Splashtop and installed it in my Atrix and Laptop..what a great app..This will def. be on my new Fire..Love this app..Thanks for the info..
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    I just saw Splashtop is available in the Amazon apps store. Any device that it will work on makes it so you can control your desktop/laptop remotely dramatically increasing the usability of your device. If I'm on the go and need to do something that only my desktop can handle I just use Splashtop on my Tab or Incredible. I would think that will make the Fire just as usable for more than its out of the box capability

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    It's the best kept secret app on any platform, was a must have on my ipad to do anything beyond simple stuff

Support Our Troops!!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    CSOLO, what's your point? That why I bought the Fire. I don't want all the stuff you claim it doesn't have.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Does Splashtop work only on Wifi, or is there any way to get it to work on 3G/4G?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The latest update brought remote access over 3g/4g to the non HD version . The HD version has had it since June. The free version on Getjar is an older version without the capability

Support Our Troops!!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    The latest update brought remote access over 3g/4g to the non HD version . The HD version has had it since June. The free version on Getjar is an older version without the capability

Support Our Troops!!
    Hm - I picked up the non-HD version from Amazon last week, and I can't seem to get it to work over 3g/4g. I'll dig into the settings and see if there's something up; but I'll also check the market version number and see whether maybe Amazon doesn't have the latest version. Amazon's App site claimed that the HD version doesn't work on the HTC Thunderbolt.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csolo View Post
    As I said earlier, I am a tablet guy meaning I have committed myself to integrating a tablet into my daily life. I got rid of my iphone (for and xperia play) because I carry tablets everywhere I go like most of you carry around phones. Consider this:

1. One of my goals was to see how many devices I could eliminate from use as much as possible.
    2. laptops and net books are portable devices not mobile ones. Neither device can take the place of a tablet. They just are not built to be mobile! It is not a matter of power and features it about design and practical use.
    3. The K-Fire would only added to the number of devices I would need to take with me not eliminate one so to me it seems like an odd choice or purchase unless I am committed to Amazon content.

If I had an e-reader and was now looking for something a little more robust the Kindle Fire may be just what I'm looking for but if I were looking for a tablet in the true since of what they are and do I would pass on this device. The Archos 80 G9 8 Honeycomb full featured tablet is going to be available for $279. Just $79 more than the K-Fire but offers everything a tablet can offer, ports, cameras, dual core processor, Honeycomb, Android market, Amazon appstore, GPS, Tegrazone and Gameloft HD gaming, SD card slot, even cloud storage via box.net and others. I plan on getting a K-Fire but the more I think about it the more the Archos 80 G9 sounds like a better choice. $200 for what's being tagged as a media consumption device or $279 for a full featured tablet?
    My mistake.. I read your OP as more like "Why would anybody want one of these" vs "Why would I want one of this for my very specific needs". I would agree that the Fire is no good for your needs but i would think that even the iPad or any Android tablet is not fully there as a total laptop replacement in general, though this is variant upon peoples individual needs. I have no doubt some people can get away with one of these devices alone.

The Archos is an interesting product but you're still talking about a tablet that is nearly 50% more expensive (Its around 290 when you factor shipping on AMZN or 294 Prime) for features not everyone wants or needs.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csolo View Post
    My mother has a Kindle and a Nook color. She's the reader of my family and reminds me that without e-ink support reading out doors will be chore.
    And without a light, reading at night can be a chore with e-ink.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Its definitely got its benefits.

Member #
    I've talked a lot about traveling with a mobile device and the disadvantages of this one. Having said all of that I do think this will be the best selling android tablet out there. It appears to me that out side of the hardcore android enthusiast android tablet just are not selling well and the promised tablet ecosystem just isn't coming. I think that K-Fire can sell well simply because it hides the fact that it is runs on the android operating systems.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links