Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Am I missing something here?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something here? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by jblalock77 Literacy is so overrated. So is spelin....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77
    Literacy is so overrated.
    So is spelin.
    Last edited by 4DThinker; 10-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My Atrix has all the necessities on it and the Fire will just replace my old Kindle which I use all the time. I like the idea to be able to play games on a larger screen and do e-mail and FB without having to use my laptop.. I think 3 gadgets will do me.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csolo View Post
    Why would I want to carry this thing on the road or around with me? Hear me out.

1. It doesn't have a built in GPS so I can't use it to get directions when I'm lost.
    2. It doesn't have a rear facing camera so I can't take pictures at social gathering.
    3. No photo viewing app either to show friends and and relatives recent photos (from what I have read)
    4. It doesn't have a front facing camera or microphone which means no video conferencing with the office or clients.
    5. No skyping my wife and kids on business trips either.
    6. No bluetooth means no wireless headphones, keyboards and other devices.
    7. No SD card support for local storage (I don't use them much but others do. To expensive for what they do) also no word on how non Amazon purchased media will be handled.
    8. No word on tethering to smart phones means mobile hot spots (which I do have) or wi-fi cafe's and other locations.
    9. No HDMI out means I have to watch movies on my 7" screen instead of the hotel provided HDTV.
    10. No gyroscope or accelerometer means questionable gaming and developer support for all but the simplest games.
    1. You probably already have a smartphone with this capability
    2. You probably already have a smartphone or point & shoot. Plus, who takes pictures with a tablet? Seems awkward
    3. Lots of gallery apps on the Appstore. Apps for Picasa, Flickr, web-based viewers, probably going to be some interface for viewing photos on Cloud drive.
    4,5. Do you often take business trips without your laptop? Seems like it is duplicating these functions. For my trade (Software Engineer) I will pretty much always need to carry a laptop for at least several more generations. So I can use a laptop to Skype
    6. Fair point, but it remains to be see whether or not the wifi chipset they're using might have the capabilities that can be unlocked after rooting/custom roms. There are also aftermarket dongles available.
    7. Cloud Drive. If you're at the 20GB level, you have unlimited MP3 storage. Does include an annual charge, but there have been promotions in the past for getting the 20GB level free for a year.
    8. Not sure what you're getting at here? Wifi is wifi whether it comes from a smartphone, portable hotspot, hotel, etc?
    9. You can buy a Roku LT for $49 that will work with the Amazon streaming and isn't much larger than a docking station or cables with adapters would be.
    10. I think you are slightly overstating the need for an accelerometer for gaming. Now, I'm not a hardcore android gamer but the number of games using accelerometers/gyros in my experience is far outnumbered by those that have no such requirement. Again, maybe just the games I've been playing, but I bet if you look at the top 20 games on the market they don't require it.

It would be foolish to say that the Fire is going to be the end-all-be-all of tablet computing and I think it would be equally foolish to say that it competes head to head with the iPad. However, this is a device that can be an exceptional value at its price point. If you need additional accessories to add a particular function, you've got quite a budget before you get close to iPad territory or even Galaxy Tab 7 territory. If you're looking at full laptop replacement, I don't think you want to look at a $199 tablet any more than you want to look at a netbook. I think there are a number of people, when they look at what this device has and what it doesn't have, that will find the Fire fits that niche very well.

Member #

As I said earlier, I am a tablet guy meaning I have committed myself to integrating a

As I said earlier, I am a tablet guy meaning I have committed myself to integrating a tablet into my daily life. I got rid of my iphone (for and xperia play) because I carry tablets everywhere I go like most of you carry around phones. Consider this:

1. One of my goals was to see how many devices I could eliminate from use as much as possible.
    2. laptops and net books are portable devices not mobile ones. Neither device can take the place of a tablet. They just are not built to be mobile! It is not a matter of power and features it about design and practical use.
    3. The K-Fire would only added to the number of devices I would need to take with me not eliminate one so to me it seems like an odd choice or purchase unless I am committed to Amazon content.

If I had an e-reader and was now looking for something a little more robust the Kindle Fire may be just what I'm looking for but if I were looking for a tablet in the true since of what they are and do I would pass on this device. The Archos 80 G9 8” Honeycomb full featured tablet is going to be available for $279. Just $79 more than the K-Fire but offers everything a tablet can offer, ports, cameras, dual core processor, Honeycomb, Android market, Amazon appstore, GPS, Tegrazone and Gameloft HD gaming, SD card slot, even cloud storage via box.net and others. I plan on getting a K-Fire but the more I think about it the more the Archos 80 G9 sounds like a better choice. $200 for what's being tagged as a media consumption device or $279 for a full featured tablet?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I just saw Splashtop is available in the Amazon apps store. Any device that it will work on makes it so you can control your desktop/laptop remotely dramatically increasing the usability of your device. If I'm on the go and need to do something that only my desktop can handle I just use Splashtop on my Tab or Incredible. I would think that will make the Fire just as usable for more than its out of the box capability

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Splashtop is excellent.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Amazon Appstore access should keep Fire owners happy. As more and more people buy the Kindle Fire more developers will be posting their apps on Amazon's Appstore to take advantage of that growing volume of app buyers. Very Chicken and Egg.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    Splashtop is excellent.
    Didn't this used to be free? I played with it a while back, but opted for Teamviewer...now I wanna compare.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The limited to 5 minute sessions is free.
    I used Team Viewer until Splashtop added remote access over 3g. It's more user friendly than TV and streams audio as well. No need to convert movies and put them on the mobile device, just stream instead over wifi or 3g. The non HD version works just as well on Honeycomb as the HD and costs less too . I've got both on my Tab.

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    What he said. Splashtop is almost perfect IMHO.
    gbarkley likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links