Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Am I missing something here?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something here? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Honestly for me, this device will be used almost strictly for content consumption, and from that perspective the design and the price make sense. I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Honestly for me, this device will be used almost strictly for content consumption, and from that perspective the design and the price make sense. I have a larger slate for more "tablet" uses.

Member #
    I pre-ordered with the thought that I would cancel before release date if I decided it wasn't going to work for me. I think one thing that might end up being a deal breaker for me is that I can't see a way to hook it up to a TV when I'm traveling or even when I'm at home. A reasonably priced dock that I could hook up to my TV at home & easily toss in a suitcase when I'm traveling would be fine.

Another thing I'm a bit concerned about is lack of 3g. I have an ATT iPhone (sorry droid peeps) and would probably be willing to upgrade my data plan to tether my Fire but I would love to have the option in the kindle built in.

I think the one thing that will cause me to cancel this order will be the thought that the Fire 2 will show up in a month or five with the features I'm looking for that end up being more affordable than the data plan upgrade + the theoretical dock. I love my techy gadgets but I'm not someone who can afford multiple versions of a device.

I have a kindle 1 that still works great-and I love showing the old dinosaur to my friends who have newer kindles. I feel like I will end up carrying both most of the time because I read a lot and the e-ink plus my comfortably worn m-edge leather case will probably be more comfortable for me. Until now the upgrades weren't "different" enough to make it worth the money-and I've been expecting this for awhile.

Member #
    My mother has a Kindle and a Nook color. She's the reader of my family and reminds me that without e-ink support reading out doors will be chore. I not a reader but I do know that something as simple as making a phone call outside in the sun is hard to do. If you are sitting pool side or at the beach how is K-Fire going to handle this?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I think some of us are missing the point of the KF. The device is not intended to replace our full-sized tablets or our smartphones. Amazon designed a device for content consumption at an affordable price. For $199 the KF will give you more for your money than is the case with most other tablets, but it's not an all purpose tablet. I pre-ordered a KF but I don't plan to get rid of my ASUS TF.
    Roxhorn likes this.

DrivetheGreen66
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP View Post
    I think some of us are missing the point of the KF. The device is not intended to replace our full-sized tablets or our smartphones. Amazon designed a device for content consumption at an affordable price. For $199 the KF will give you more for your money than is the case with most other tablets, but it's not an all purpose tablet. I pre-ordered a KF but I don't plan to get rid of my ASUS TF.
    I'm definitely not getting rid of my xoom.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Nor am I ridding of my Acer A500 and A100!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't seem to get rid of anything, no matter how little I use it. As for the Fire, I'll push and poke mine to make it as close to a real tablet as possible. Did the same with my Nook Color. If only I could read.....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    I can't seem to get rid of anything, no matter how little I use it. As for the Fire, I'll push and poke mine to make it as close to a real tablet as possible. Did the same with my Nook Color. If only I could read.....
    Ditto. I mean, what ELSE is there to do!?!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    Literacy is so overrated.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So that you can watch videos. Check MLB games and watch them. Read a book, magazine or blog. Whatever you want to do with it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links