Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Am I missing something here?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something here? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Not all desktops are the same , not all laptops are the same , not all cellphones are the same, not all music players are ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Not all desktops are the same , not all laptops are the same , not all cellphones are the same, not all music players are the same, not all tablets are the same , etc.
    Get what fits your needs/wants the closest at the price you are willing to pay

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I agree. I also would point out, most of the features this tablet lacks are available on a smart phone. So as a companion devices to a smart phone, I would consider it eminently road worthy.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by etx_droid View Post
    There's a reason it's priced at 199. I think it's a great device, especially if you are an amazon fanatic. My wife and I use amazon at least every week, and she uses her Kindle religiously. It's attached to her it seems and I have to tell you, her 3rd Gen Kindle is an AMAZING device. The ability to do everything her Kindle can do, plus much, much more has me chomping at the bit.

Plus, this thing will get rooted which equals even more awesomeness

As far as navigation, and using it in the car, that's what my Thunderbolt is for. It has done everything I need it to do so I won't be missing any features. But just as others have said, it's totally up to you.
    This is so where I'm leaning. I've got a first generation Kindle that is starting to go wonky, so I've been thinking about getting a replacement anyway. Been reading my books on T'bolt & while that's good, it would be nice to have a bigger screen. So, for the price, the Fire is a good intro into "tablets" & this may be the first device I take the plunge with to root when that becomes an option. (Although with the HTC security vulnerability recently revealed, I may finally screw up my courage & try to root the T'bolt).
    But yeah, my T'bolt does my GPS & all that other good stuff.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thank you for pointing out all of those differences. Makes it easier to consider. Think it is hard to go wrong at that price, as long as the enduser has figured out it will do the necessary stuff for them. I wish I had done due diligence on my other tablet before I made the impulse purchase. At least I would have had some knowledge of what I was getting !

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    I agree. I also would point out, most of the features this tablet lacks are available on a smart phone. So as a companion devices to a smart phone, I would consider it eminently road worthy.
    This is a good point to consider.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyes7 View Post
    Thank you for pointing out all of those differences. Makes it easier to consider. Think it is hard to go wrong at that price, as long as the enduser has figured out it will do the necessary stuff for them. I wish I had done due diligence on my other tablet before I made the impulse purchase. At least I would have had some knowledge of what I was getting !
    I researched my ipad, used my sisters for a while but didn't realize until getting my own that it just wouldn't do what I needed on the multi task end.
    I don't write that to bash Apple, just that until owning one for a few weeks I didn't realize how much I multi task on my Incredible and what a pain not having Flash made. When using my sisters I was just acclimating to ios, never tried to upload files, never went to my bank website (Flash), never tried to transfer photos from my phone to it via bluetooth, or things I was used to doing on my phone.
    I write that to say not only research the obvious but consider what impact not having features will have and don't just take reviews stating "it doesn't have it because you don't need it" . Sometimes time is money.
    Yes having my Inc has been very nice but I got a tablet (ipad initially) to be able to do what I do on my phone but have a larger screen and use my phone less for a computer and more for just a phone. Even without having my Tab I'd pretty much stopped using my ipad and went back to my phone.
    Even at $200, if it's just going to collect dust or be aggravating it's best to skip the purchase.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 10-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    csolo: You need to get rid of all those gadgets and enter electronic rehab. You wouldn't also have an iphone - would you?

Member #
    I think for those moving on from Sony (me) It is a very reasonable interlink. This provides access to much of Amazon's content and this should work faster and more reliably than the Sony. When I want pictures, I use my camera. When I am ready to sit down and talk to someone I do it at my desktop. I just want access to a broader range of materials when I go out at a cheaper price. I love the Samsung, but I'm sure as heck not going to pay over $400 U.S. dollars for something that right now, I don't need. I was already set to pay up to $200 for a good next generation reader with Wi-Fi. This fits the bill and more! For me, it will probably be worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I was delighted the Fire came out at $199. That price point for the features it has forced a correction among the overpriced 7" tablets out there. Suddenly $499 for a 7" Playbook or HTC Flyer appeared obscene, and they magically dropped to a reasonable $299.

Member #
    More thoughts to consider:

1. I read that it will have a micro b USB 2.0 port which means that it will connect to a PC or laptop but will not allow for portable storage devices to be connected to it. So, my terabyte portable drive that I have connected to my Acer will not work on the K-Fire.
    2. I read that cloud storage will be free for all Amazon purchased content with the emphasis on Amazon purchased. What about my large and extensive collection of mp3's, legally ripped movies and TV shows that I already own but purchased elsewhere? Since Amazon has only allocated 6 gigs of space for storage and there's no support for external hard drives or SD cards will I be forced to purchase space on the cloud for my non Amazon content?
    3. I read that the K-Fire does not have an accelerometer or gyroscope built in. That will severely hamper what type of games you will be able to play. I am a big time gamer and play a ton of games on my mobile devices. From my Xperia Play to my ipad2 games are a major reason why own the devices I own. No one is really talking about this one but this is a huge issue in my book.
    4. Amazon seems very reluctant to clarify what version of android it is built on and seems very hesitant to clarify which apps will run or not run. That scares me.
    5. Tablet specific apps will not run on this device since it is not running Honeycomb and Amazon seems very reluctant to use the phrase cell phone apps when describing the apps they sell! If you own Froyo or Gingerbread tablets you know how dicey this can be when purchasing apps. Some work, some don't, Some just constantly force close. It's all over the map.
    6. What advantages do you by see rooting this device? I'm curious.

The more I think about how I use tablets the more I question the design and feature choices of this one. Judging by some of the comments I've read some you have not integrated a tablet into your daily routine or have not thought this thing out fully yet. $200 would be nice price for the Acer A100, a tablet that does everything you would want a tablet to do at a 7 form factor.

How do you plan on using this device? What will it allow you to do that makes sense to you?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links