Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Has the amount of internal memory been a problem?

This is a discussion on Has the amount of internal memory been a problem? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Have you found the amount of internal memory to be sufficient? If not what has been your work around? I got my oddest daughter (20) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Has the amount of internal memory been a problem?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Has the amount of internal memory been a problem?

Have you found the amount of internal memory to be sufficient?
    If not what has been your work around?
    I got my oddest daughter (20) a Fire for Christmas and for her usage , being mainly for reading books, checking email and surfing the web. To this point she has only loaded 1 app and has gobs of memory left.
    I have, so far, talked myself out of getting one for myself because I have a smartphone ( 32gb including sd card) a Kindle Touch (4gb) and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (32gb) that have a ton of internal memory for my uses . My uses are a book reader, music player,forum and web surfer, appaholic, kids book and game apps for my appaholic 4 year old daughter, music, photos, home videos, whole 1st season of Suits , desktop remote access via Splashtop (haven't sat at the desktop in months other than reboot every now and then) , and the occasional game.
    If I were to get a Fire I would most likely use it as a book reader, forum surfer and apps, since I'm an appoholic, that I've got on my Amazon account via lots of free app of the day and my youngest daughters stuff on Amazon and Splashtop.
    My question is, have other appoholics found they didn't have enough space for all their apps and games and still be able to use it as a book reader?
    Thank you for your input

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm a fairly heavy user; I've been an Android user since late 2010.

The Fire breaks up its storage into "Application Storage" (1.17gb total) and "Internal Storage" (5.37gb total). Right now, I've got about 80 apps installed on the Fire and it still shows 400mb free for app storage, and 3.12gb free for internal storage. Unless I start storing whole movies on the Fire, I can't imagine running out of space anytime soon.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Thank you.
    I've got a couple hundred on my Tab but won't use most of them on anything else so it sounds like I won't run out of room for apps. I wasn't sure how it was broken up and there is no "move to sd" option. My first dealing with Android was also in 2010 with an Incredible. It's storage, 1gb, sounds like it is about the same as the Fire for apps and should be fine. I've got 127 apps on it.
    Thanks again

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Similar to you, I already have a 16GB Android phone with a 32GB card, a 4G Xoom with 32GB internal plus a 64GB MicroSDXC. Internal memory in the Fire is not a problem for me and I have a fair number of apps installed (from both Amazon and Google), including several games, periodicals, documents and a boatload of books. Since I knew the Fire was intended to be a (cloud) content device I was not expecting it to be a storage device. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of content I do have on board and just how often I reach for the Fire first due to its size and convenience. Currently I have just under 400MB available out of 1.17GB for app storage and 2.57GB of 5.37GB available for internal storage. I have installed 52 apps over those included, including about 8 games.

BTW, I sure hope you haven't told your 20-year old she is the "oddist!" (Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the typo)
    flathat likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Mark,

My experience is similar to Skydog's. Have about 70 apps on the device and another 30 or so sitting in the cloud. (I can't resist free apps even when I don't think I'll use them.) That leaves nearly half a gig of application storage free.

No movies but about a dozen books take up less than a gig of the 5.36GB available.

The trick, I think, is to shift your thinking a bit and view the cloud as it's meant to be seen -- as a near equivalent of local storage that you access when you want it. Of course, if you're not around a wifi connection you can't use it but I just try to think of it in the same way I think of packing for a trip. Load what I need before I go, put the other stuff away in the cloud, and in an emergency go look for a wifi.

My iPad is full of music (about 20 gigs worth) and I have a new smartphone that I could load up with music as well if I choose to do so. As a result I haven't purchased any music for my KF. We're bound wrist and ankle to iTunes in this household for music and I don't see that changing soon so I don't think I'll purchase much from Amazon. But having said that, I'm sure there would be room for couple of hundred tunes downloaded from my PC if I wanted to do it and plenty of room in the cloud to keep it.

All in all, I think the KF is perfectly adequate if you don't consider it as the master storage device of your life.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 03-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Similar to you, I already have a 16GB Android phone with a 32GB card, a 4G Xoom with 32GB internal plus a 64GB MicroSDXC. Internal memory in the Fire is not a problem for me and I have a fair number of apps installed (from both Amazon and Google), including several games, periodicals, documents and a boatload of books. Since I knew the Fire was intended to be a (cloud) content device I was not expecting it to be a storage device. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of content I do have on board and just how often I reach for the Fire first due to its size and convenience. Currently I have just under 400MB available out of 1.17GB for app storage and 2.57GB of 5.37GB available for internal storage. I have installed 52 apps over those included, including about 8 games.

BTW, I sure hope you haven't told your 20-year old she is the "oddist!" (Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the typo)
    Dog ,Freudian slip on the typo but that's another topic and yes I've told her many times how "special" she is.
    JSH, I plan on using the Fire offline for the most part so that was why I was asking, kinda like checking the weather before packing the suitcase . I love love love my Kindle Touch and rarely even turn wifi on even though the experimental browser isn't half bad for surfing forums. That and syncing are the only reason I do so. The phone screen is a but small for heavy reading and 48 year old eyes and the Tab is very inconvenient to carry everywhere, thus why I'm looking at a Fire for it's portability and larger than phone screen

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    Dog ,Freudian slip on the typo but that's another topic and yes I've told her many times how "special" she is.
    JSH, I plan on using the Fire offline for the most part so that was why I was asking, kinda like checking the weather before packing the suitcase . I love love love my Kindle Touch and rarely even turn wifi on even though the experimental browser isn't half bad for surfing forums. That and syncing are the only reason I do so. The phone screen is a but small for heavy reading and 48 year old eyes and the Tab is very inconvenient to carry everywhere, thus why I'm looking at a Fire for it's portability and larger than phone screen.
    As long as you're not put off by the backlit screen on the KF, I think it's ideal for your requirements. If you are sensitive to backlighting I'd suggest downloading "Screen Dim" from the Amazon Appstore. It enables you to independently fine tune brightness and contrast in such a way that you can nearly match (though not quite) the reading ease of an e-ink screen. My wife was very skeptical about the KF's backlit screen but she has found it to work quite well once I installed Screen Dim.

Finally, you should have NO trouble packing books on the KF. Color magazines are a bit more of a challenge but as long as you don't need to store multiple two hour+ movies, you'll have plenty of room.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Thanks again.
    Screen Dim. Gotcha. I don't mind a backlight but will get that app anyway .
    I'm a book reader and the Touch is a smidge dark to read in lower light settings, again because of my older eyes. I wore the binding out on my Bible (pages literally fell out) and instead of buying another paper version and using my readers I use my Touch now because of bigger font ability. I'm not much on magazines.
    If time permits I'm going to Target tomorrow and get one. I've got a bunch of birthday gift cards burning a hole in my wallet. I've already decided on what case I'm getting, again using gift cards from Amazon , for a Roocase.
    Edit: I've already got the full version of Screen Dim, don't know when or why I got it.
    I've ordered a roocase executive in black, it's very much like the case I used on my old ipad, having a place for accessories and good quality construction. I've bought Tapatalk now as well. That's one of those so good I don't mind paying again apps.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 03-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    NAJCG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    MThe trick, I think, is to shift your thinking a bit and view the cloud as it's meant to be seen -- as a near equivalent of local storage that you access when you want it. Of course, if you're not around a wifi connection you can't use it but I just try to think of it in the same way I think of packing for a trip. Load what I need before I go, put the other stuff away in the cloud, and in an emergency go look for a wifi.
    +1 On using the cloud. Also, sign up for dropbox and get another 5G of free cloud space.
    NAJCG likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    +1 On using the cloud. Also, sign up for dropbox and get another 5G of free cloud space.
    Thanks. I've got Dropbox now, been using it for over a year. I've for over 6gb on 1 account and 2gb each on 3 other accounts.
    I use the Amazon cloud player now.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links