Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Considering purchasing a KF but have questions

This is a discussion on Considering purchasing a KF but have questions within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I am new to this site and doing some research. I currently own a Nook Color running CM7 on a micro sdcard. Works fine but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Considering purchasing a KF but have questions

I am new to this site and doing some research.

I currently own a Nook Color running CM7 on a micro sdcard. Works fine but is slow. I do need to do a new card with a new version of CM7.1 but have not done it yet.

Got my hands on a KF the other day and thought it was so cool, but then said no due to storage issues.

I use a 8GB card to store books on, mostly epub. Right now it says I have 5.84GB to use and I have only used 826MB.

I buy a lot of books from Amazon and the Prime membership looks interesting. My android phone has a lot of apps from the Amazon App store too.

I have also been told on another forum to wait, as supposedly Google and Asus are going to bring out a 7" android tablet around the end of June for about $200, called the Google Play. Nothing on specs yet, but it was discussed at the conference in February.

I don't do a lot of gaming, but I have a few that I have downloaded that I might play if the processor was faster. I do use it for the internet, sometimes, but really, I am on the computer at work, so if I use it at home it is for short periods of time.

I would not root the OS on a KF, as long as I can side load some apps - like Mantano (for my epubs that I get from Smashwords, BooksonBoard.com) or maybe that is download the app from Amazon, then how do I load the books so it can find them????

Any thoughts from anyone? It was slick little device and I guess I use it mainly to read and maybe some games. I use wifi. If I see something I must have during the day, I buy it, then download it at home. Most hotels have free wifi anyway.

Should I wait? Does anyone have buyer's remorse? Did anyone go from Nook Color to KF?

Thanks.

Member #
    I have a Kindle Fire and I did have a Nook Color with CM7 on a 32gb card, which I gave to my sister. The Fire is a lot easier to use. Storage is an issue but the Fire is really designed for streaming and it does that extremely well so I end up using it in a little different way than I used the Nook.

I have a lot of books but I don't use the Fire that much for reading. I have a Kindle Touch for that and even on the Touch I rarely have more than 20 or 30 books on board. I like to keep the current book, a couple of books of short stories and several books that I think I might want to read soon, on board. The rest are either on my PC or in the cloud or both.

It's fine for games, although I don't play anything very challenging on it. I'm just an occasional gamer. For web browsing it does a good job; not the best of any of my tablets but better than most.

I'm not sure if I'd want the Kindle Fire as my only tablet but I do have other tablets. That said, it's the Kindle Fire that I use about 75% of the time.

Barry

Member #
    Thanks for your comments. I bought a KF last night and like it so far. I downloaded all the apps (even non-Amazon) that I had on my rooted Nook and still have 716mb of the 1GB storage left. I'm not a big gamer but wanted a couple mystery puzzle games. I need to figure out this whole "Cloud" thing. I'm guessing that I can buy an app and it will stay in the Cloud until I want it?

Anyway, I like it so far. Will be trying out the Amazon Prime soon too. I have 30 days before I have to return it. It is much easier to use than my NC, that's for sure and faster. If I keep it, definately getting a non-glare screen!

Member #
    Glad you came over to "the other side" Sher. This is "RichardWrite" from the Nook Color forums. I haven't posted it there, but I also made that terrible transition from the NC to the Kindle Fire. My reasons: It's faster, everything runs smoother, has a nicer interface, plus many things that you must root the Nook for you can do out of the barrel with the Fire.

Regarding the rumors of a Google tablet. I'm sure it will happen, but I've never known Google to deliver on time for anything. So if you waited until June for their tablet....I have a feeling you'd be waiting until August...and then until December...and maybe until 2013. Keep in mind that we're still waiting for those first Google Chrome OS netbooks that we were supposed to be inundated with by 2010.

Member #
    I'm still giving myself 30 days to make sure! So far it is totally a smoother experience, considering I use mine as a ereader, but like the ability to play a game now and then, or browse the web. I gave the whole tablet thing some thought and realized that with a computer at work, a PC at home, and an android phone, I don't really need a tablet. (Also saw an article on the supposed Google Tablet - reported now that people are miscontruing an interview the Google Exec gave to an italian newspaper about them "coming out with a powerful tablet in 2012." ) So maybe that is just not going to happen.

I only had my NC since June 2011, and here I am buying a KF, lol. My husband thinks i'm nuts.

Definately need that anti-glare screen and a stylus. Found a handwriting app that converts handwriting to text. Thought that might be fun to play with!

Thanks for your comments.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What's the name of the hand wdriting app?

Also you can get apps at GETJAR and 1MOBILE MARKET that download directly to your KF - most are free. You can download their apps off their web site. I suspect you know you can borrow books, audiobooks and music from almost any public library you have a card for using Overdrive.

There is a thread here regarding buying REFURBISHED KF for $169.00. The difference might pay for your anti glare and stylus.

Member #
    I like this so far. I downloaded those two apps you mentioned last night. Was pretty easy. I do need to just delete a couple off my device and keep them in the Cloud until I need them. It was nice that I could download all the apps I had on my NC and still have 716mb left.

The handwriting app is called Smart Writing Tool. I kind of tried it last night but I know my daughter has been using it to take notes in class on her KF. I thought it would be kind of handy to try.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Get dropbox for all your devices. It's free allows you to easily share files between devices as well as others you want to share photos files etc. with AND you get 2gb of storage all for free. So you have more storage space and easy way to move apps between you devices you can put it on your phone too.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're worried about your books, I recommend getting sugarsync or dropbox (side load). You put them all up there and then you can download as needed on your fire. That really goes for any file. I love my fire.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I use dropbox but it downloaded directly no side load needed. I have it on my KF, 2 PANDIGITAL tabs and 2 computers works great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links