Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is the Email app safe?

This is a discussion on Is the Email app safe? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I received my new Kindle Fire yesterday and I wonder if the email application is safe enough? I also have an iPad and I'm not ...

Member #

Question Is the Email app safe?

I received my new Kindle Fire yesterday and I wonder if the email application is safe enough? I also have an iPad and I'm not worried to access my email account on an Apple device, but what about Kindle Fire? Could I get any virus or malware into my Kindle Fire while browsing the web? My email account is really important for me, so before I setup the email app for my mailbox, I would need to know if it is 100% safe.

Or would it be safer to access my email only using the Silk browser and not using the email app?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I don't think there is a single documented case of a virus/malware being successfully spread on an android device via an email attachment. That said, one should always use common sense when opening email attachments from unknown sources. It's not a good idea. Your post appears to imply that you could be vulnerable simply by receiving an email. That's extremely doubtful.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 02-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean getting a virus by opening an email attachment, but I meant getting a virus or malware into your Kindle Fire when browsing some websites.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The only thing I've ever read/seen was Hotmail accounts got infected at the server and if you sent an email to any of your contacts it spread to them. My sister sent me an email from her iPad, using her Hotmail, it tried to infect my Android phone and gmail account but was unsuccessful. It kept resending until I asked her why she kept resending an email and she had to delete her Hotmail account to make it stop. She uses an Apple desktop and iPad.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andrej View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean getting a virus by opening an email attachment, but I meant getting a virus or malware into your Kindle Fire when browsing some websites.
    Sorry. I think I understand your question. Let me know if this is your concern. You use the web browser to log into a "webmail" account of some sort, either a commercial site such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. or a more limited webmail app such as one maintained by your company. Your concern is that accessing your email in that manner (rather than using the KF email client) poses a risk. Is that the case?

If so, the answer is that the browser itself should not be your concern. Rather, as Mark points out, you should be concerned about the security of the email server you're using. A hacker might gain access to that server (or any other website where you have entered your email address) to harvest addresses and send you a harmful email (as Mark noted above).

But even then, the chances of a successful attack on your system is minimal. Note that the "walled garden" OS architecture Apple uses in the iOS OS is very similar to the Android approach. Each provides relatively strong protection against an attack outside the confines of the app you're using. (In this case it would be the browser.)

On the other hand, if your email security is a high priority for you, you should be cautious about using public wifi to log into your email via the browser. Again, this is not a weakness of the browser. Rather, it is possible for a hacker on the same public wifi network to access your keystrokes and record your login and password. The same caution applies to the use of a public network for any confidential work (e.g. internet banking.) I don't mean to overstate the risk but I make it a practice not to do anything on a public network that I would not share with a stranger looking over my shoulder. Just as I would not use an ATM with someone looking over my shoulder.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    No email software (even Apple) is 100% safe but most Android infections are caused by people downloading Trojan software as opposed to email infection or browsing websites.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Sorry. I think I understand your question. Let me know if this is your concern. You use the web browser to log into a "webmail" account of some sort, either a commercial site such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. or a more limited webmail app such as one maintained by your company. Your concern is that accessing your email in that manner (rather than using the KF email client) poses a risk. Is that the case?

If so, the answer is that the browser itself should not be your concern. Rather, as Mark points out, you should be concerned about the security of the email server you're using. A hacker might gain access to that server (or any other website where you have entered your email address) to harvest addresses and send you a harmful email (as Mark noted above).

But even then, the chances of a successful attack on your system is minimal. Note that the "walled garden" OS architecture Apple uses in the iOS OS is very similar to the Android approach. Each provides relatively strong protection against an attack outside the confines of the app you're using. (In this case it would be the browser.)

On the other hand, if your email security is a high priority for you, you should be cautious about using public wifi to log into your email via the browser. Again, this is not a weakness of the browser. Rather, it is possible for a hacker on the same public wifi network to access your keystrokes and record your login and password. The same caution applies to the use of a public network for any confidential work (e.g. internet banking.) I don't mean to overstate the risk but I make it a practice not to do anything on a public network that I would not share with a stranger looking over my shoulder. Just as I would not use an ATM with someone looking over my shoulder.
    I don't even TapaTalk on open OR public secure networks. Maybe watch a football game on my phone via the NFL app but anything where anything with any account information for anything I use I won't access. Most of those "secure" public wifi spots are about as secure as a bed sheet and duct tape trying to keep the wind from a hurricane from entering a broken window.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links