Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Classroom Advice

This is a discussion on Classroom Advice within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; My school is getting ready to hand out Kindle Fires to HS students. I am looking for any other educators who are using the Fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Classroom Advice

My school is getting ready to hand out Kindle Fires to HS students. I am looking for any other educators who are using the Fire in their class. I would love to discuss classroom management, device management, educational apps...
    ALSO....Is there a way to hook the device to my LCD projector? Would it work with Google TV?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! This is a BIG step and we want to do it right!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Howdy pharesr, and welcome to the forum!
    I can't help with the student portion, but I can suggest a technical 'workaround' for projection: If you already have it set up to project a laptop or even a desktop monitor, simpy use a RDP client (remote desktop protocol) like Teamviewer, loaded on both devices, then control the 'Fire' from your pc which is projected. Teamviewer may be sideloaded, if it is not available on the AMZ market (I haven't checked). Hope this helps! Cheers!

Member #

great idea

Great idea.......thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Using Kindle devices in the classroom has always intrigued me.
    There is a school district in Texas that has switched from paper books to Kindles and has met with success so far in cost and usability by the students. The only complaints that I've read have been some students miss toting around real school books.
    In this cash strapped local economy mixed with ever changing technology it seems like a win/win ,to me, to use Kindle devices in the classroom.
    I'm going to sticky this for a bit in case it takes off
    Pharesr, please tell your fellow employees and students about this thread in case they'd like to add to the discussion. We are here to help in any way we can.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 02-17-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Member #
    Thank you...we are indeed excited, however nervous. We are the first school to dive into this and have so many questions. Our first hurtle was the app store, how can students have an account without asking parents for a credit number. ( you have to have a credit card on file before buying any, even the free, apps. I think we have solved that by purchasing every child a $5 pre paid credit card. We are then going to run academic contest to win additional cards.

Our next hurtle is training teachers. I'm working on some good ideas on how and will update you soon,

We know we are going to run into Walls. IF ANYONE HAS THE FORESIGHT TO SEE A PROBLEM PLEASE SHARE. We want this to be a success .

We will be giving them to 298 freshmen in march. I've started a campaign via qr codes. We have three weeks and it is a secret so the qr codes are going to be hints.
    "things are getting warmer". "things are heating up" Ouch! I have been burned". We made signs on google presentation and qr codes leading to them.

Will keep you informed

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I found this that might help
    http://gettingsmart.com/news/10-tips-for-kindle-in-the-classroom/

Support Our Troops!!!
    <
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    You are the best!

Member #
    Sound pretty interesting! How exactly are you going to incorporate the fires into an educational setting I mean other then books.

Member #
    Well, that is what this pilot is all about. We are trying to accomplish many things. The first is to provide technology to ALL students. We believe that many of our students would never have the opportunity to work with a device like this unless we provided it.
    In the most basic functions we are going to expect our students to use their fires to keep their academic lives organized. We have a list of apps that we will be asking them to download and all of our teachers will have the expectations they will use.
    For example, Notepad is a free app that we will expect our students to take and keep notes in their class. We also found a free graphing calculator which we previously required students to purchase. There is also study blue which is an app that allows students to make and share flash cards.
    We are really excited about the reading and notes feature. The students have virtual book chats.
    Way cool......

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If I were a parent, I would also have a concern about the internet and it's availability through Kindle Fire's wifi connection. While I'm fairly certain the school has appropriate controls on it's own bandwidth (right?), there would be nothing stopping students themselves from creating their own personal wifi hotspots (cell phones,etc.), and sharing the wide-open internet without any supervisory or software/DNS controls. Did you have any policy or plan to address those types of parental concerns?
    FWIW, the Junior High school I attended in the '70's (now called Middle School) has had a laptop program since 2005, and are/were on the cutting edge of this type of program, called The Millennial Classroom project...and I agree, the Fire seems particularly suited to broad applications towards the goal of this project. More about it here: Administration / Millennial Classroom
    Another concern would be adapting the Fire's peculiarities (the GUI geared towards Amazon-specific content consumption) into a more useful learning and research tool, without the need to root it! Perhaps create a special Kindle website/domain on the school's server that navigates and displays well on small screens, with a list of bookmarks chosen for their applicability to current projects, reducing the need for 'programming' individual Kindles? Would love to hear what some of your own plans are for this, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links