Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is The Amazon Fire HD 10 My Next Tablet?

This is a discussion on Is The Amazon Fire HD 10 My Next Tablet? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I am thinking about replacing an old tablet with an Amazon Fire HD 10, but I am a little confused about the Fire OS, and ...

Member #

Is The Amazon Fire HD 10 My Next Tablet?

I am thinking about replacing an old tablet with an Amazon Fire HD 10, but I am a little confused about the Fire OS, and the tablet not having Google Play. How does Fire OS relate to the family of Android OS's? Does the Fire OS update as often or keep pace with the Android OS's?

I use Google Play for all my apps, how would I get Google Play and the other Google apps on an Amazon Fire HD 10? Does the Amazon Fire HD 10 need to be rooted to get the Google apps on the tablet? Do Google apps run well on an Amazon Fire 10?

Thanks for any insight on the Amazon Fire HD 10.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by migoblu View Post
    I am thinking about replacing an old tablet with an Amazon Fire HD 10, but I am a little confused about the Fire OS, and the tablet not having Google Play. How does Fire OS relate to the family of Android OS's? Does the Fire OS update as often or keep pace with the Android OS's?

I use Google Play for all my apps, how would I get Google Play and the other Google apps on an Amazon Fire HD 10? Does the Amazon Fire HD 10 need to be rooted to get the Google apps on the tablet? Do Google apps run well on an Amazon Fire 10?

Thanks for any insight on the Amazon Fire HD 10.
    The fires in general and the 10" in particular give either a much better spec $ for $ or the same spec as a tablet that's considerably more, it's only when they start having eight core processer and 3 gb, of ram that the fire doesn't stack up well on performance, but will still be about half the price, so it's a straight choice of how much your prepared to pay for better performance. And that performance being some what minimum in every day use, if you insist on having 10 things going at once, then y pay The extra and get an 8 core,

The down side is they don't automatically use the Google apps store. They don't need to be routed to do this, just installing three files and a bit of messing about will make this possible, though this isn't the best of ideas on the 7" as it will noticeably slow it down, it shouldn't make any noticeable difference to the 1 0" as it has a much better processor.

that said, very nearly all aps that you can get from the Google store can be got elsewhere from one of the many app stores or direct from the apps designers web site, I've not yet round anything apart from the MacDonald s app I couldnt y find in two minutes..
    I installed Google play and then took it off again as it was completely unnecessary for my use at least

Generally the amoza n apps run better, amoza n has very strict quality control on apps, the non amaza n apps will work as well as they do on a non fire spec for spec, as some are bloated and very badly written and don't work well in anything, but an 8core processor, some don't well ever
    Last edited by jobo; 06-21-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just add, when your comparing specs, you need to hear the following in mind,

The clock speed of the processor, in ghz, generally the faster the better, the fire had a1.8 ghz, quad core processor, a 2 ghz, which isn't uncommon, will work better, but the actual speed to you will be in hundredths aybe tenths a,second when you get your to 2.2 2.5 ghz, you may notice some real difference in speed, the real advantage of a faster processor is when doing multiple things at once or dealing with very data / picture heavy web sites or using really big data processes.

The number of cores, more cores are better right, well maybe, multi cores only work if the app is designed for multi core, other wise they do nothing to help, having an 8 core processor will do not much if the app is designed for quad core or even single core, but an app designed for an 8 core will run badly on a quad and even worse on a single core. Though they have great value if you are using big apps themand a lot of them

Ram, the the fire had 2gb, of ram which is really plenty for most use,some of the expensive tablets have 3gb, but agai a number ofn big data oheavy processes and you may just find some benefit for the extras 1 gb, but in most use you will not.

The amount of storage, the fire had either 32 or 64 gb, that's actually very well spece d against most tablets, I think it's worth getting the 64, but it depends on what and how much you are likely to store, that's about 50 high de f movies or 600 top quality mp3 albums or 6000 songs for the 64,,, then you need a memory card, big ones are not cheap , a 250 gb, one will cost about as much as the fire. So factor that in if your considering a device with less storage.

Screen resolution, the fire had a high de f screen, some if the much more expensive ones have ultra high def, which is only any use of your downloading streaming intra high de f films and no use at all other wise

Member #
    So jobo,
    I am pondering adding google play on my HD 8, 7th Generation, 2017. How does this one do with the addition? I am trying to watch Wnba games on my Fire, through League Pass, and a google app is needed.
    I wish Amazon had it available, easy peasy...but I get it.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Litza View Post
    So jobo,
    I am pondering adding google play on my HD 8, 7th Generation, 2017. How does this one do with the addition? I am trying to watch Wnba games on my Fire, through League Pass, and a google app is needed.
    I wish Amazon had it available, easy peasy...but I get it.
    Thanks!
    It's not one of life's biggest decision, it not like getting a tattoo, if you don't like it, it takes 30 seconds to reverse, so do it it and see if it suits you or not, the 8 has the same processor as the 7 but more ram, it may well have a noticeable effect or it may not, suck it and see, ! I'm my experience the more Google apps you out on the more the slowing effect, but this is also true of Google devices, so if you don't go mad in the app stores the difference if any will be quite small

Are you sure that it's actually necessary, to obtain/ run the app you want? There arnt many that can't be down loaded from elsewhere and work perfectly well without a Google dependency, though they won't update automatically
    Last edited by jobo; Today at 08:05 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links