This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Install the Android Market on Your Kindle Fire within the Amazon Kindle Fire Development forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Hacking category; Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Kindle Fire Forum or myself will not be liable if your device gets damaged in the ...
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Kindle Fire Forum or myself will not be liable if your device gets damaged in the process.
BriefMobile was kind enough to point out the steps necessary to install the Android Market on the Kindle Fire so here it is!
- Root your Kindle Fire <--instructions
- Download the following apks (You are on your own finding them, I’d rather not link them here)
- Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
- Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)
- Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
- On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”
- Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)
- Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files
- Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install
- When complete, click “Done” and return to the file location for Vending.apk
- Long-press Vending.apk and select the “Move” option on pop-up menu
- Navigate to /system/app folder
- Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
- Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder
- Long-press Vending.apk and select “Permissions” from pop-up menu
- Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r–r–)
- Reboot your Kindle Fire
- Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.
Source: BriefMobile via XDA, Jolleyboy, Bandage
Please post in here if you get the Android Market on your Fire!
What if the Google services framework won't install? And where can I find (and actually install) Root Explorer? PM is ok.
Root Explorer is available in the market (on another device, backup, sideload), but ES File Explorer will also do this, AFTER you nav to settings and set 'root' privileges (Explorer, Mount File System). Choose 'HIAPK ROM' and wait a minute for a permissions popup, indicating you have /system permissions. Then proceed with pasting the vending.apk, which might be called com.amarket.apk...at least it was in the .zip gapps I downloaded.
I'll give it another try. I do have the ES explorer.
Hey all.....When I 1st added the android market I had a market icon on my screen but every time I tried to access the market....it would crash! Thanks in part to this forum & the comments below....I was able to fix this issue & now use the market with no problems. The only issue now is for some strange reason is that the marketplace icon disappeared from the screen when I rebooted it.....how do I get it back?
Odd. Is it in the apps list when you try to create an app shortcut on the desktop?
edit: Edf..did you get market, finally?
I got the market installed last night! works good!! Only thing is when I'm on the Kindle Launcher the Market app won't show up. But on ADW EX it shows up and works great! Not sure if that's normal or not but that's how it is on mine. And I didn't have Root Explorer I had ES Explorer so I couldn't (or didnt' know how) to change the "mount option" (Step 7) or the "permissions" (step 9&10) so maybe that's why it's not showing up in Kindle Launcher. I just had to cut and paste and then install and it seemed to work. Let me know if that isn't the correct way. Thanks!