Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Netflix App Update: Be Careful

This is a discussion on Netflix App Update: Be Careful within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Apparently Netflix has provided an update for their Android app that Amazon has begun to distribute via an OTA update. (At least according to several ...

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Netflix App Update: Be Careful

Apparently Netflix has provided an update for their Android app that Amazon has begun to distribute via an OTA update. (At least according to several posts I've seen.) The following is just a cautionary tale.

After seeing the information about the new update and its features (including in app volume control) I checked to see if an update was available for my KF. Found no "update available" information in the app store so I deleted the app and attempted to install it again, hoping that the new installation would give me the updated version.

No go. I got an error on the download which asked that I try again. Tried that repeatedly without success. So I figured that the old version of the app had been blocked and my efforts were simply failing to download that version.

Next step was to delete the app from my account, altogether, on the Amazon website. That appeared to work, i.e. the app disappeared from my list on the Amazon website. Figured I could now download the app just as if I'd never had it.

Again, no go. The KF (and Amazon) appears to believe I still own the app. (Based on the fact that my choice is to "install" rather than "purchase.") And again, I'm unable to download the app.

My guess is that the Amazon servers are busy with OTA updates of the app and will not respond to proactive requests to download the updated app. Bottom line is not to try what I tried. Just wait for the OTA update to appear on your device. Based on my experience with Android devices in the past, this may take a few days (up to a week). Just be patient. I suspect that once the OTA updates are distributed access to the app will open up again.

Update: First occasion to use customer service for the KF. Great experience. Fix required the following sequence:

()GEAR>More>Applications>All Applications>Apps.
    () Clear Data.
    () Stop and Restart KF
    () Go to App Store.
    () Push Free Button. (Before clearing the data in Apps, it only allowed "Install."

Works fine and the new version of Netflix has an in-app volume control and full screen. Very nice.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 02-10-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I have decided to be careful with updates due to problems I have read about. That alone, makes spending time in these forums useful. Thanks for posting about your experience.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I just remember , couple days ago when I tap on the Netflix icon to watch movies, the Netflix displayed something liked "Update Netflix - Install/Cancel" I tap on "install" then bla bla bla ..... Netflix istalled , I can see a small volume bar on the upper right corner , very self-automated . Netflix working fine (as same as before).

Note that you see the update AFTER you enter the Netflix apps.

Member #
    What are the known problems Netflix creating, since I haven't used that till now.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DelanisJames View Post
    What are the known problems Netflix creating, since I haven't used that till now.
    I sent u a PM. Please review your inbox & reply.
    Mahalo (thank you)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I see I have a notification of a Netflex update. After reading about being careful I have been afraid to do the update. So Bolsa you have no issues with the update then?

Has anyone else updated Netflex?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
    I see I have a notification of a Netflex update. After reading about being careful I have been afraid to do the update. So Bolsa you have no issues with the update then?

Has anyone else updated Netflex?
    I started this thread with the rather alarming title so I guess I bear the responsibility to note that I don't think there is any problem updating Netflix. My problems stemmed from being too anxious to do so. Everything works fine.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links