Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kids Place - Not Perfect but Very Useful

This is a discussion on Kids Place - Not Perfect but Very Useful within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Here's the story. Three people in the household: Me, my spouse, and our seven year old daughter. Have an iPad purchased originally as a "family" ...

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Kids Place - Not Perfect but Very Useful

Here's the story. Three people in the household: Me, my spouse, and our seven year old daughter. Have an iPad purchased originally as a "family" device we could all share. I was sorely disappointed to find that the iPad is severely lacking in this respect. No way to configure individual "accounts" as one can on a family computer. No way to provide a "home page" for our daughter with her apps. No way even to place the same app on different screens so it could be accessed by different family members without providing virtually unlimited access to the iPad.

As everyone knows, there was much consternation when the KF was introduced about the absence of parental controls. And as most of the folks on this forum undoubtedly know, there was much more heat than light in those criticisms. Yes, you can turn off "1 click" ordering from Amazon, for example. Still, when I purchased a KF to relieve the demand on the family iPad I didn't expect to find that it was clearly superior the iPad in terms of parental controls.

How so? The Amazon App Store includes a great little app called "Kids Place." It enables one to create a password protected app screen for a kid with the apps a parent wants to enable. Once in Kids Place, exiting to the KF's main UI requires the device password. I've added games for my daughter that she can access without worrying about either her safety or the possibility that we'll have an unexpected delivery of a refrigerator from Amazon at our door.

It's not perfect. One cannot, for example, include just children's books or magazines in Kids Place. And it is a bit of a PITA to require a password to access both the KF from sleep mode and to exit Kids Place. (The app uses the device password.) Still, I didn't expect to see much of what is missing in terms of parental control on the iPad available on the KF.

Bottom line. If your KF is shared with a young member of the household whose access you wish to control, Kids Place is an excellent app.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    This is handy info....thanks for sharing!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links