Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Canadian Owner Here, Hello!

This is a discussion on Canadian Owner Here, Hello! within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; My husband, who is located in the U.S. bought the Kindle Fire and shipped it to me in Ontario, Canada so that I can give ...

Member #

Canadian Owner Here, Hello!

My husband, who is located in the U.S. bought the Kindle Fire and shipped it to me in Ontario, Canada so that I can give it to my mother as a gift.

I just found out that I cannot buy, download, and install any apps for the device; I got the geographic restrictions message in spite of the fact that it is a U.S. account. Maybe it's because the credit card I have attached to the account is Canadian?

I had my husband try to download an app for me but he got the restriction message also. Why would that be since he is located in the States? Again, is it because of the credit card being Canadian?

I am trying to figure out how I can get the apps I want. I would also like to understand why the restrictions are in place. It's not like I'm trying to do anything illegal - I am willing to pay full price for what I want.

I registered the device from Canada - should I unregister, cross the border, and reregister from there? I live in a border town so it's a 10 minute drive, no biggie.

Can I download the apps from over the border? If I do, will they work once I cross back? I find it interesting that there are no restrictions with books, only apps and my Spock Logical mind doesn't understand why.

I realize my first post is one heck of a mish mash but clearly I cannot go to the official forums and ask for work arounds - besides, a lot of them there seem to be real pills and very jerky towards people.

There must be a way around this, more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: Canadian Owner Here, Hello!

Welcome to the forum.
    If possible I'd agree, try an American based card, perhaps get the hubby to purchase a pre paid Visa while on this side of the border. I'd also make sure your Amazon account shipping address is US based,even if you use a "secondary "address to actually ship to.
    Please post back if you come up with a different solution that works. I'm very interested in how The Fire knows your location since it's tied into an Amazon account.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano

Member #
    I found a solution.

Originally I had thought that Amazon somehow used my ip address from my computer. However, I used my mailbox addy in Buffalo, NY as my address, put in my U.S. bank account card number, and I was good to go.

Even though I am physically in Canada it didn't matter.

I still wonder though, why this problem with apps but not books? And one more question: is it possible to log into a proxy server with the Kindle? Not that I watch shows online much but it would be nice to have that option.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: Canadian Owner Here, Hello!

Team Viewer might be what you seek? It's an app to view your Windows or Apple computer from your tablet
    Up until the last few months apps were only available for sale inside the US so evidently Amazon is still treating yours in that manner for whatever reason.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links