Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Apps That Don't Work

This is a discussion on Apps That Don't Work within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Anyone want to add to the list as you are working with the device about apps that you side load that do not work? So ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Apps That Don't Work

Member #

Apps That Don't Work

Anyone want to add to the list as you are working with the device about apps that you side load that do not work?

So far just about everything I have sideloaded worked just fine with one huge exception.

GMail won't start at all. I took the apk from my Evo and installed on my Fire. Installed just fine but it refuses to run. Looks like I will have to get K-9 or something like that for email on the device if I really want it, unless the stock email app works good.

-Eric

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is supposed to be a gmail program right in the silk os.. From what I read it was compatible with G Mail, Yahoo and a few others..so no need to download a seperate app..

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Hoping pingchat! works, thats one of my most used android apps.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Most email accounts should be able to be accessed using any browser.
    Don't know if Silk uses tabs, but with FireFox on my desktop, I have all of my email accounts available with one click.

Member #
    Well I actually just found out over on XDA that they have gotten GMail working. You have to install a few other apps in order to get it working but it can be made to work. I was just trying to run the apk from my Evo and it failed.

I have not yet tried to use any of the google web apps yet on the browser, it was a thought I has this morning but now that I am at work I can't play as much as I would like.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    This thread is a good idea. Let's try to keep it updated guys n gals.

Moved thread to "Apps" section and stickied.

Member #
    I've sideloaded a few apps. Even sideloaded SWYPE. It installed up to the point where the Fire won't recognize an additional input tool. Any thoughts before I attempt to root the device?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by EABonney View Post
    Well I actually just found out over on XDA that they have gotten GMail working. You have to install a few other apps in order to get it working but it can be made to work. I was just trying to run the apk from my Evo and it failed.

I have not yet tried to use any of the google web apps yet on the browser, it was a thought I has this morning but now that I am at work I can't play as much as I would like.
    My gmail is working fine with the built-in email app. No need to install any apk.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Apps requiring a microphone

Many people may not know this, but although the Fire does not have an onboard mic, it will support headsets with built-in mics. This allows you to use apps requiring a microphone. I was able to install and use Tape-A-Talk (an audio recording app) and GStrings (a guitar tuner). These apps need to be sideloaded, because the Amazon App Store will not offer them (you may need to have the headset plugged in when installing the app, or else the app will not locate the mic and fail to install).

I have not yet tried using Skype or Google Voice.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    grvthang...please take a minute to explain how to sideload an app. I have numerous apps on my thunderbolt I would love on my fire. Swype would be at the top of the list, however I do not want to root this device..afraid I will brick it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links