Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Apps That Don't Work

This is a discussion on Apps That Don't Work within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I believe the simplest is to do an app backup using Astro File Manager..it saves in .apk's. Then simply Dropbox/email/drag-n-drop/WiFiExplorer/Samba them over to the Kindle, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Apps That Don't Work

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I believe the simplest is to do an app backup using Astro File Manager..it saves in .apk's. Then simply Dropbox/email/drag-n-drop/WiFiExplorer/Samba them over to the Kindle, and install...I use Astro for that too!
    Larry C likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fowlstack View Post
    grvthang...please take a minute to explain how to sideload an app. I have numerous apps on my thunderbolt I would love on my fire. Swype would be at the top of the list, however I do not want to root this device..afraid I will brick it.
    You don't need to root the device to sideload apps. Sideloading is just installing the app through a means other than going through the Amazon App Store. There are several ways to do it; first you need to acquire the app file itself:

1. Some developers post their apps on their sites for download (for example, you can download Opera browsers from Opera's website). Go to the site on the browser on the Fire and download it to the Fire
    2. Or go to a site like 4shared or filecrop.com on the Fire's browser, search for the app (make sure you search for the "apk" - apk is the file extension for Android app. For example, you would search for "Skype apk". If you get multiple results, choose the most recent version. Then download it to the Fire.

Once you've downloaded the app to the Fire, you need to locate it and install it:
    1. From the Amazon App Store, download and install ES File Explorer on your Fire
    2. Open ES File Explorer, and look for the folder named "Download". Your downloaded apf file will be in there. Click on it and it will install.

You could also acquire the apk on your pc and transfer it over to the Fire via usb cable. Another way, if you have an Android phone, is to install it on your phone, make a backup copy of the app and email it to yourself. Then, open your email on the Fire and download it to the Fire.

There are plenty of threads on sideloading on this and other Android forums. Search around a little bit; there's a wealth of information.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
    You don't need to root the device to sideload apps. Sideloading is just installing the app through a means other than going through the Amazon App Store. There are several ways to do it; first you need to acquire the app file itself:

1. Some developers post their apps on their sites for download (for example, you can download Opera browsers from Opera's website). Go to the site on the browser on the Fire and download it to the Fire
    2. Or go to a site like 4shared or filecrop.com on the Fire's browser, search for the app (make sure you search for the "apk" - apk is the file extension for Android app. For example, you would search for "Skype apk". If you get multiple results, choose the most recent version. Then download it to the Fire.

Once you've downloaded the app to the Fire, you need to locate it and install it:
    1. From the Amazon App Store, download and install ES File Explorer on your Fire
    2. Open ES File Explorer, and look for the folder named "Download". Your downloaded apf file will be in there. Click on it and it will install.

You could also acquire the apk on your pc and transfer it over to the Fire via usb cable. Another way, if you have an Android phone, is to install it on your phone, make a backup copy of the app and email it to yourself. Then, open your email on the Fire and download it to the Fire.

There are plenty of threads on sideloading on this and other Android forums. Search around a little bit; there's a wealth of information.
    This info was great. Thanks...

Member #
    Welp Spare Parts failed badly

Drop Box worked, and Lookout seems to be ok so far. I have a fewmore to tinker with and then I start beta testing the Touch Squid software and a Global cache IR device.

-R

Member #
    tapa talk works
    drag racing work bench works
    Google Currents didnt work, kind of expected to be the same issue as the gmail thing

I will have to say the biggest gripe so far is the non Google Market, it blows

-R

Member #
    Best Buy app no workie
    red box no workie

Both were side loaded, wasn't sure if they were in the market or not, but thought I would try it anyway

Member #
    Many people may not know this, but although the Fire does not have an onboard mic, it will support headsets with built-in mics. This allows you to use apps requiring a microphone. I was able to install and use Tape-A-Talk (an audio recording app) and GStrings (a guitar tuner). These apps need to be sideloaded, because the Amazon App Store will not offer them (you may need to have the headset plugged in when installing the app, or else the app will not locate the mic and fail to install).

I have not yet tried using Skype or Google Voice.
    I second that. Sideloaded soundhound and it works perfect with my headset.....gonna try shazam and skype......i've got both of them in my samsung s2......if u don't have a built-in mic, you can get 23.5 female to 13.5 male mini jack connection for your normal headset

Cheers

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Member #

Doesn't work with skype or nimbuzz

Many people may not know this, but although the Fire does not have an onboard mic, it will support headsets with built-in mics. This allows you to use apps requiring a microphone. I was able to install and use Tape-A-Talk (an audio recording app) and GStrings (a guitar tuner). These apps need to be sideloaded, because the Amazon App Store will not offer them (you may need to have the headset plugged in when installing the app, or else the app will not locate the mic and fail to install).

I have not yet tried using Skype or Google Voice.
    I installed tape a talk (making sure I had the headset plugged in at the time), and that works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't help with Skype or Nimbuzz. I sideloaded them to my KF but Both apps automatically terminate any call you try to make or recieve, so they're useless. I used splashtop to connect remotely to my desktop and I was able to receive calls and videos using my dektop's skype or nimbuzz, but the mic didn't register my voice, hence a one sided converstaion.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The Bank of America app does not work side loaded.

Member #
    aCalendar doesn't work even installed from kindle store.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links