Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Actually yearly cost difference of Apps between Fire & Nook

This is a discussion on Actually yearly cost difference of Apps between Fire & Nook within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Fire has Prime that cost $79 yearly and you get .. what actually? Unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows, Free ...

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Actually yearly cost difference of Apps between Fire & Nook

Fire has Prime that cost $79 yearly and you get .. what actually? Unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows, Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, and now, access to thousands of popular Kindle books through the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
    But you still have to purchase or rent movies and many other items in addition to the annual $79 fee .. correct?

Nook tablet has you opt to pay to Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Pandora® & other services you select .. separately each a monthly fee ($7.99 each monthly is common).
    So if you got Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Pandora® .. that would be roughly $24 monthly or $288 yearly!
    That alone seems to make the Fire the much more affordable tablet.
    If you opt to subscribe to other items (like newspapers or magazines) your cost increases of course with either tablet.

But as I understand the fine print .. it appears the the Fire is the wise choice. Can someone confirm my understanding or clarify the points I have incorrect.
    Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Actually, it's my understanding that after you pay the $79 Prime yearly fee, you don't have to pay anything else. You are allowed 1 book to borrow from the lending library each month, plus the streaming library has no extra cost. The regular Amazon Instant library does sell & rent (and you don't need the Prime membership to use it), but the Prime streaming library works just like Netflix streaming. Obviously if you want to take advantage of the shipping part, you'd have to order something. But even if you didn't, it would still work out to be cheaper than Netflix when you calculate what you pay for a year of that.

Also...doesn't Pandora have a limited free service? I thought you were allowed to listen for a few hours of use per month, with ads, and you don't have to pay anything. I've never paid to use it on my iPhone in the past, although I haven't used it in a while.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by getabout View Post
    Fire has Prime that cost $79 yearly and you get .. what actually? Unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows, Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, and now, access to thousands of popular Kindle books through the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
    But you still have to purchase or rent movies and many other items in addition to the annual $79 fee .. correct?
    Have to..no, but you CAN. Prime members also get free cloud storage, and right now I get UNLIMITED mp3 storage for the remainder of my current Prime membership, then it's only $20 annually after that...a GREAT deal if you're like me and will eventually have over a terabyte of mp3's 'in the cloud'. (heh..wouldn't we then call it a skybyte, instead of terabyte?)

Nook tablet has you opt to pay to Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Pandora® & other services you select .. separately each a monthly fee ($7.99 each monthly is common).
    This is not a differentiator...memberships to these services are independent of the tab you are using.

So if you got Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Pandora® .. that would be roughly $24 monthly or $288 yearly!
    That alone seems to make the Fire the much more affordable tablet.
    Last I recall, Pandora One is $36 annually. The services you listed I already sub to, work on my Nooks and Acers, and of course phones, and don't have anything to do, in my mind at least, with a Nook vs. Fire challenge.

If you opt to subscribe to other items (like newspapers or magazines) your cost increases of course with either tablet.

But as I understand the fine print .. it appears the the Fire is the wise choice. Can someone confirm my understanding or clarify the points I have incorrect.
    Hope I did!
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    With the Prime membership, you get a large selection of free movies & TV shows to stream for free. Not all of the Amazon Instant Video content is free through Prime, but a lot of it is.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    To be sure we all understand .. it would be nice if some knowledgeable person would create an App and Service (like Prime and what services you get) .. and the monthly-annually or individually fee.. using a side by side cost comparison chart. I seem to have the understanding that the Fire deal is the over-all better deal. I would like to have a clearer financial understanding of what monthly/annual cost I should budget for.
    Thanks for any help to clarify expected fees.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I understand that I can own a Tablet and never purchase much of anything. Just check emails, search the web and grab free stuff.
    But I plan to enjoy my Fire tablet, and therefore that means purchasing items and services as I like. I know it is common to see 'Spec' comparison charts on features and memory .. but I would like to see the cost to enjoy comparison chart. Like a car 'miles per gallon'.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I understand that I can own a Tablet and never purchase much of anything. Just check emails, search the web and grab free stuff.
    But I plan to enjoy my Fire tablet, and therefore that means purchasing items and services as I like. I know it is common to see 'Spec' comparison charts on features and memory .. but I would like to see the cost to enjoy comparison chart. Like a car 'miles per gallon'.
    Welp, the problem seems to me to be the fact that that landscape is changing, as will your values, once the tabs hit our hands. Nook Tab will obvioulsy be a bit pricier up front, but have greater capacity in several important areas (I wouldn't dismiss the hardware on $ alone) that would be particularly important from a root/ROM perspective (to gain more capabilities, like HULU+, etc.). Amazon is announcing new services, enhancements, and value-added upgrades in a strong bid to seal-the-deal, and get you plugged into their ecosystem. If you already have an investment in AMZ ecosystem, they are speaking directly to you with the Fire. It's a portable window to AMZ, so tight that they'll know everything you search for, enjoy, rate, read, and download, at least until it gets hacked. Nook Tab will be quite similar in stock form (buttoned down with company emphasis), but B&N already have an assumption many will hack and get full Android Market and alternate OS/browsers,etc. but still use B&N for books, comics and other services, plus their support has been well beyond average. Using the mpg metaphor, I'd say were looking at the difference between a Corolla, and a Corolla Sport. The Sport might get less mileage (content), but handles better, runs faster, and is slightly costlier up front (suspension tuning?). So for some of us, the question is who's building (devs) the high performance engines we plan on refitting under the hood, and how easy will the factory make that job?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I think the choice between these to devices does largely come down to whether are not and to what degree you consume Amazon content.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links