Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

IPad 2 Replacement

This is a discussion on IPad 2 Replacement within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hi My wife has an aging IPad 2 which we are looking at replacing with a Kindle Fire. She uses her IPad to browse the ...

Member #

IPad 2 Replacement

Hi

My wife has an aging IPad 2 which we are looking at replacing with a Kindle Fire. She uses her IPad to browse the internet, Facetime the grandchildren, do various puzzles (jigsaws, crosswords, brain yoga and that sort of thing), watch catch up TV on BBC and ITV iPlayer read the Sun newspaper). Would the Fire provide a suitable replacement?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Best regards Ken.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Hi

My wife has an aging IPad 2 which we are looking at replacing with a Kindle Fire. She uses her IPad to browse the internet, Facetime the grandchildren, do various puzzles (jigsaws, crosswords, brain yoga and that sort of thing), watch catch up TV on BBC and ITV iPlayer read the Sun newspaper). Would the Fire provide a suitable replacement?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Best regards Ken.
    Which kindle is she considering ? They will all do that, the @8' will do it better than the 7 the 10 will do it best of all,
    There's an ongoing issue with the apps available from Amazon, she may not find specific games, and have to side load them, which is not really a great hassle,
    Last edited by jobo; 12-14-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply Jobo.

The 10 is the one she is considering but worried in particular about Facetiming the grandchildren and getting the Sun newspaper ( not sure why the Sun but she likes it).

Member #
    Can anyone confirm that the Sun newspaper and Facetime is possible on the kindle 10.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm sure the sun is available
    No is the strict answer to your question, face time only works on Apple devices, but if you mean face time as a generic name for video calling, then yes you SHOULD be able to Skype or what's app or facebook vid calls, or what ever on it, you also cant use googles vertion "hang out" with out having a Google account on your fire, which is possible, tp
    W
    I say should, as I don't ipuse it and can't say with definite certainty that you can, there are multiple vid call apps available on the Amazon web site, if guess that means they work on a kindle,clearly the grand children will need the same app which means if they are using an apple device there maybe incompatibility problems, As you appear to be n the uk, buy it from argos, as they give you 30 days to return it if you don't get on with it, but I think Amazon have much the same returns policy,
    Apple Google and Amazon refuse to cooperate with each other, which leaves you with a suck it and see situation,
    Last edited by jobo; 12-15-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Here's a list of apps, that appear to work on all devices, so Should connect you to what ever the grand kids are using, if they have the same app,cam frog included a the kindle as a listed device, the others will probably work to

https://alternativeto.net/software/camfrog/
    Last edited by jobo; 12-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Member #
    Thanks for that Jobo been a huge help.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links