Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question about Stylus Pen & Note taking

This is a discussion on Question about Stylus Pen & Note taking within the Amazon Kindle Fire Apps forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Ok, I just ordered this stylus Pen from Amazon. Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices Including Kindle Fire, Apple iPad 2, the New iPad, Motorola ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about Stylus Pen & Note taking

Member #

Question about Stylus Pen & Note taking

Ok, I just ordered this stylus Pen from Amazon.

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices Including Kindle Fire, Apple iPad 2, the New iPad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry PlayBook: Electronics

Can I use this to take notes on my Fire? Handwritten notes, not typing using the keyboard? If so, what is the best app for note taking? Just curious?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would love to hear your opinions on that if you do end up buying it, as i've been considering it myself. From what I've heard, it should work on the screen.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Any stylus made for a capacitive screen will work on the Fire. If it says it works on an ipad it'll work on a Fire BUT not all are made of the same quality. The most accurate, by far, is the Bamboo brand because it is stiffer on the tip for a more accurate touch. For general uses they all will suffice but the cheaper, more mushy, ones can give less than desired results for drawing and handwriting without a whole lot of practice.
    7notes is the app I use for handwriting, again takes a bit of getting used to but works

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I'd endorse Mark's comments above with one exception. I've had great luck with styluses from iFaraday.com. They come in different configurations and use a conductive fabric tip rather than the usual "rubber ball" tip. I have several of their styluses that I use for my iPad and they work extremely well on the KF.

And just one other point, Adonit makes a very attractive stylus (Jot Pro) for the iPad. It has a fine point with a transparent "collar" that enables its use on a capacitive screen. While it works passably on the iPad I've found it to be very problematic on the KF. I wouldn't recommend it.

And Mark's right. 7Notes Premium is by far the best handwriting recognition and translation program out there. He's also correct that it takes practice to use any handwriting app on a capacitive screen. Expect to invest 20-40 hours in the effort before you become truly proficient.
    mountainbikermark likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Ifaraday huh? Can they be found locally? I haven't been to Best Buy or anywhere like it since Christmas

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post and typed with SwiftKey 3 Beta

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I just ordered this http://ifaraday.com/Firestick.html and will post my findings once it comes in.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts with Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Talk about fast, the stylus showed up this morning.
    It is diffeerent than all others I've used and will take some getting used to.
    Its tip is hard,very hard, making it NEED a MUCH lighter touch on the keyboard to keep double registers of letters from happening, doublle letters being the result. The unit is super light,comes with its own tube case/cover and has a strap instead of the usual clip most have. Time wiill tell if this is a good thing or not for me because I have my other one clipped into my rooCASE executive and this unit may or may not work in the long run.
    The specs on the website say the stylus does not work on other devices but it works on my HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10., both of which are capacitive screens AND it works on the Kindle Touch, a resistive screen,because the tip is so hard.
    If you want a feather light stylus at $13 plus cheap yet fast shipping, with a very firm tip for accuracy that a rubber tip can't match, this one is a winner after getting used to it.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts with Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Glad you like the iFaraday stylus, Mark. I was curious about why the website says the KF "Fire Stick" is suitable only for the Kindle Fire. I suspect the guy who makes them is just extremely cautious about recommending his product for devices he hasn't thoroughly tested.

As an aside, he's VERY careful about customer satisfaction. When he started offering the styluses over a year ago he apparently had a minor manufacturing problem with a single batch. The result was that a few customers complained about the "substrate" under the conductive fabric breaking down under hard use. Not only did he replace the styluses in that batch, he apologized publicly on a major iPad site, explained the problem he'd encountered, and offered to send free styluses to anyone who had ordered one whether they encountered a problem, or not.

He's a good guy and I've found his styluses to be the best I've used. I'd recommend letting him know you'd prefer a clip on the stylus you received. He may be able to accommodate you.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Dunno on why it states only working on the Fire other than something to do with screen density. I'd thought about contacting him and may still end up doing so but I'll probably just end up fenagling something instead. I've got lots of old dongle chains and such around the house.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk Blue post

Member #
    My two cents. I am impressed with the Fire Stick demo and perhaps it is the way to go. I have tried rubber tipped and they made all the difference in the world. But I decided to try a silk tipped by Hard Candy at around $33. Totally different and extremely accurate compared to the rubber tipped. But I can't recommend it for anyone since if always finds the floor and you can't tell which end to pull for pen vs the stylus. It's a design nightmare. I leave it beside the recliner and let the kids use it.

Besides there is one other that has completely blown me away and the Kindle becomes a different animal, (Roaring Fire perhaps) if you use it exactly the way instructed. It works almost 100% of the time every time. The only times it does not that I have found is when you choose an icon that has no function left in that page or your running way ahead of the KF buffer which is rare. But it has always been operator error not the fault of the Stylus. They are Stylus R Us with a Google search of that name or found at:

BEST STYLUS FOR iPAD - iPHONE - XOOM - ANDROID & 95% OF ALL TOUCH SCREENS - STYLUS-R-US *** - SRU HOME PAGE

They seem a bit expensive running from about $23 up to $199 for special edition in Sterling. They also offer scratched models at a discount and I could not believe the quickness of their service on a Sat afternoon as I had answers to 2 or 3 messages and confirmation of my order from a live person. On Monday morning it was here Priority Mail.

If you don't loose things and you will read and follow instructions you can't go wrong.

The company is brutality honest and I suggest you study the whole site before ordering. I overlooked telescoping styli and now after studying I can see I should have ordered one of those too, and will shortly. Nice feature when your using the KF on it's side or using it on a larger screen.

I have the "Double Duty" model at about $36 + SH with total around $42 or $43. I haven't looked back except to decide I will add at least two more of their styli to my thin collection. I will purchase their "Writer's Dream" at about $73 plus S&H that extends from 6" up to around 12" if memory serves and probably another "capped" model. However I am beginning to think the capped is only for looks and makes no difference in real protection of the tip.

I think you could wash it and believe when it dried it would still work. It's like Velcro and it just may be exactly that. But only 2 or 3 hairs have to touch the screen and it's gone! I don't see any way you could wear this thing out if you use it as directed. And oh how clean the screen will stay. You could throw away your lens cloth, but don't!
    Last edited by jniles; 04-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links