Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are screen-savers really needed on the Fire?

This is a discussion on Are screen-savers really needed on the Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire Accessories forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Since the Fire comes with the Corning - 'Gorilla" glass and the ads state .. "Our state-of-the art Kindle Fire display is chemically strengthened to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Are screen-savers really needed on the Fire?

Since the Fire comes with the Corning - 'Gorilla" glass and the ads state .. "Our state-of-the art Kindle Fire display is chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, making it extra durable and resistant to accidental bumps and scrapes. " Plus, I think I read somewhere that the Kindle Fire display glass was coated for glare and UV too.
    So is a screen saver needed? Part II of my question would be; if you feel one would be wise to apply .. which one would you recommend?
    Last edited by getabout; 10-29-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Having had two smart phones with gorilla glass I don't plan on using any type of screen protector.

In the end the choice is yours and I don't see how it would hurt anything outside of your wallet but gorilla glass is the real deal IMO.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Have a phone and my first tab that I wish had been installed with gorilla glass. If it can be scratched, dented, or scraped, I will find a way to do it within two weeks of buying it.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You both confirmed my thoughts that Gorilla glass really does not require an additional screen protector. I cannot find the story where I believe I read that the Fire screen was coated with a anti-glare treatment. Once I get it and .. if ... I feel I need an anti-glare film .. which brand would you recommend?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Sorry, can't make a recommendation. I bought one of these screen films and ended up never installing it because although they said the instructions were easy to follow, I couldn't even get past reading them. It was too much trouble for klutzy me. If I could con a store employee into doing the installation, that would be a different matter.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I've got a Droid Incredible that has been running with no screen protector for over a year with 0 scratches. It's the first device I've run naked since 07 since I am very rough on my devices. I also have an ipad running naked and my 3 year old daughter has been the primary user for about 5 months (once I got the Tab the ipad was relegated to dust collector status for me) with no scratches or dings
    I didn't even consider one for the Tab due to the results of the other 2 devices. Like I wrote before, I am very rough on my devices and usually beat them up pretty well. My Inc is dinged on the case, ipad has quite a few scratches to the shell but the screens look brand new. I did have an anti glare on the Inc when new and found it did help with fingerprints but didn't do squat for glare and gave the screen an eerie redish hue
    Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes, your results are interesting. I guess I will just wait a few more weeks to see if I need an anti-glare film. I wish I could find that information about the Fire screen having had been coated with a anti-glare treatment. If someone in a position of knowledge on the anti-glare status .. please inform us all. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I've read that there isn't going to be a treatment. Still rumors at this stage.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I found the information about the Kindle Fire screen being treated for Anti-glare!
    It was right there in the main ad for the Fire. So, it would appear the Fire needs neither a anti-stratch or anti-glare screen saver film.

Technical Details

Display 7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Amazon Kindle products have great screens where I never had to buy anything special. just a little cloth to wipe it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links